Gray Wolf Knife (model #3)

This is my review of model #3 from Gray Wolf Knives (http://graywolfknives.com/)

I’ve had the knife for close to a month now and have used it in a manner that is typical for me (slicing food, cutting various items and making chunks of wood into something that sometimes roughly resembles a man-made object).

Vital statistics are as follows: (from Gray Wolf Knives Website)

Blade length: about 4 5/8"
Handle length: about 4 5/8"
Blade thickness: 1/8"
Steel: 1095 (59 rc)
Handle material: black walnut
Pins: brass
Lanyard tube: 1/4" brass
Finish: blued heat treat finish
Blade width: 1"

First Impressions:

This is my first knife from a custom maker, so I was alternating between extreme excitement and slight apprehension prior to taking delivery of the knife. I should not have worried, as the entire buying experience could not have been better and the actual product is far superior to anything in my wildest imagination.

Fit and finish is perfect – at least I cannot see how it could be better. There are no gaps, the handle is flush with the (full) tang and the bevel is even from tip to stern. The knife has a beautiful balance and remains comfortable in a variety of holds – almost as though it were merely an extension of my hand.

This knife has a great feel to it; enough heft to let you know that you’re holding a serious tool, yet light enough to allow for hours of constant use.

It’s not an ornate knife, but I find the simple lines and rugged usefulness to have a beauty all of their own. My favorite knives are always like that: solid, hardy knives that provide a lifetime’s use and the ultimate bang for the buck. Besides, I’d be too scared to use a knife that was too pretty (if I ever bought one).

Performance:

After admiring the knife for a few minutes, it saw its first use in helping me prepare a turkey and tomato sandwich. (I forgot to mention the fact that the knife was extremely sharp upon delivery, so there was no need to spend time sharpening it).

Slicing through the turkey breast was no challenge at all (nor did I expect it to be) as the knife cut through the meat like a razor. Similar results were experienced with the tomato and I soon found myself munching on a delicious sandwich as I contemplated further tasks for my newest toy/tool.

First up was the paper test (after wiping the blade down) – push cutting through thin paper was a breeze and I soon graduated to shaving hairs off my arm (figuring bald spots on my head would be slightly more noticeable).

Next I figured I’d try my hand at carving wood, so I fired up the trusty chainsaw and lopped off a few likely-looking branches from a fallen tree.

Now I’ve never carved a wooden spoon before (and I’m not sure I have now, either) but I decided that would be my first project. I didn’t pre-shape the chosen chunk of branch; wanting to give the knife a full workout by seeing how it did with power cuts (as well as delicate slicing and chipping).

The knife was a joy to use; handling every type of cut (in my very limited repertoire) with an ease that belied my newbie status as a carver of wood.

In fact I enjoyed myself so much that I then decided to make a spatula and an Atlatl (afterwards) using nothing but my Gray Wolf knife (and some sandpaper). I did end up carving the bowl (of the spoon) out with a crooked knife – since I couldn’t figure out how to carve it with my Gray Wolf knife.

Side note:

Much to my surprise; my wife was inappropriately astonished by the proximity my newly manufactured – albeit smaller – chunk of wood had to man-made utensils (bless her heart). She even suggested (with that gleam of riches to come in her eyes) that I proceed to sell my creations. But that dream died quickly when I explained how I’d have to get $100 for a wooden spoon-like object (since I had at least 10 hours of work into it) that could be purchased anywhere for a few dollars each.

Still…. If anyone is interested…

No?

Oh well, so much for those dreams of being a wooden spoon mogul (and the riches that go along with it).

Final Analysis:

Gray Wolf (Aaron) makes an outstanding knife. His bang for the buck ratio is incredible; especially when you consider the fact that the tools he makes will give you a lifetime’s worth of excellent service.

I’ve got somewhere around 50 fixed-blade knives thus far. Among them are one dozen (or so) Mora knives and a mixture of Scandinavian knives (Ahti, Helle, Kellam, Roselli, etc..) – all of them are excellent knives and perfectly capable tools. (I really like that style of knife)

But my favorite knives are the two (so far) from Gray Wolf knives. In addition to the model #3 knife, I also have a model #4 Gray Wolf knife (not pictured). (The model #4 knife is every bit as good as the knife being reviewed – possibly better because the blade is shorter).

I haven’t had to sharpen the knife, although I do make it a practice to strop the knife (homemade strop) when I’m done using it for the day. I’ve found a few strokes on each side will bring the knife back to its original sharpness and that it is quite easy to maintain the maker’s grind. I suspect that if I’m not careless, stropping is the only form of sharpening I’ll ever have to do with this knife.

You owe it to yourself to get a Gray Wolf knife – you’ll be glad you did.

Good looking knife and thanks for the review and photos.I was wondering about the sheath and your thoughts on that.

Good looking knife and thanks for the review and photos.I was wondering about the sheath and your thoughts on that.

I am quite pleased with the sheath: it holds the knife securely (even when turned upside-down) and is very functional in a utilitarian sort of way. I tend to like basic designs that just work and this sheath is a fine example of that.

I don’t know how the sheath rides when wearing it on a belt, as I never carry my knives that way. (I almost always carry them in my back pocket)

While my mind is frequently lost in the exploits of my younger days, the reality of on-going health issues tends to limit my current knife usage to less than glamorous tasks around the house and yard. For those uses, carrying in the back pocket is more than adequate.

Mike, You really write up a great review. Your carvings are awesome. That knife looks like a solid performer.

Take care fellow Husker;)

Bryan

Great review. Really want a fixed blade about that size and now I have something else to salivate over.

p.s. - where did you get the sheath?

Last edited:
Very nice review. I was unaware of Gray Wolf until I read this. Seems like a great all around bush tool, and at a price point that really can't be beat! I think I'll be sending an email to the maker very soon!

Thanks for an informative and entertaining review!!

Excellent review. Thanks!

Mike, You really write up a great review. Your carvings are awesome. That knife looks like a solid performer.

Take care fellow Husker

Bryan

Thanks Bryan,

I really enjoyed talking to you and am super excited about the knives I've ordered from you. Hopefully I can swing by your shop - and watch you work your magic - the next time I get back to Nebraska.

Go Big Red!!!

Mike

p.s. - where did you get the sheath?

Aaron (Gray Wolf) made it for me. I hope he doesn't mind me telling people that, but I think he did a fantastic job with the sheath too.

Thanks to everyone who commented.

My own #3 with sheath is en route from Aaron, and reading your review makes me anticipate its arrival even more. Thanks for the write-up.

Very nice review and photos.

I was unaware of Gray Wolf until I read this. Seems like a great all around bush tool, and at a price point that really can't be beat! I think I'll be sending an email to the maker very soon!

Yeah, ...simple, functional tools.

Here's the one from the W&SS Buchcraft Knife Challenge.

Here's a maker to watch.

Big Mike

Great review. I really like this no-nonsense, simple but very functional design. And those sub $100 prices make the whole package a tremendous value as well. A very nice bushcraft knife indeed.

Howdy Big Mike, my neighbor. That knife looks awesome too. Simplicity and efficiency at its best.

I know I'm late to this post, but just want to add that I bought a #5 from Aaron (with sheath). It's a great knife and priced right!

Vin

The knife is a beauty, I really like the "raw" design, and the prices are very low, but the thing that impresses me the most in the review is that atlatl! It's a style I never saw before, do you mind posting some more pics?

The knife is a beauty, I really like the "raw" design, and the prices are very low, but the thing that impresses me the most in the review is that atlatl! It's a style I never saw before, do you mind posting some more pics?

Thank you very much for the kind words. I made the atlatl on a whim of sorts - I just wanted one so I found a dead branch that seem suitable (proper curve and thickness) and started carving. I had a general idea of what I wanted, but no hard and fast plans to work from. I haven't found suitable wood for the darts though, so I don't know how the atlatl actually works.

As for pics...

I'll try to make a point to post pics once I've taken some.

I know this threads a few days old, but I ordered a #5 today from Aaron.

Looking forward to getting it now for sure!! :)

i might have to get one of those. i'm pushing my friend to get one to. he doesn't have a bushcrafter yet and you might as well start off on the right foot.

Back