Great Eastern Cutlery ( GEC ) group shots / photo requests

Thanks Ed, I was waiting for your pics. Glad we got to see a "few" lol. That conductor at the end suprises me by how big it is, gonna have to give it a second look. Just not sure how comfortable that bail is when using the coping blade? If you ever feel like sharing more I would love to see your 79's, particularly in a group shot with some friends ;) Thanks again for sharing

Oh yeah. I forgot about the #79s.

Here's a #54 Stockman Whittler with Orange Crush covers above three #79 Montana Whittlers with Ebony, Ruby Red, and Red Dawn covers (left to right).

whittler2.jpg

The Orange Crush #54 Stockman Whittler over the Ruby Red #79 Montana Whittler.

whittler3.jpg

biglmbass nice collection. That dead skunk is awsome. Any chance of getting a pic of the 57 with the 66? I am interested to see how the frames differ next to eachother.

That about does it for comparison shots I've already taken. The rest of my pics are knives with different handles within a model number. I still have a #65 Ben Hogan, #85 Bullet End Jack, a #89 Executive Whittler not pictured. I can take a pic of them tomorrow and another knife or two. Any requests?

Thanks for the offer Trand. Would love to see your green 66 with your green 48 with the blades open. Might as well throw in the 85 for good measure ;) Thanks again for sharing

Ed, that orange crush is dreamy. Very nice. I think you have convinced me that the ruby red should be my backup 79. Liking the long nail pulls on the northfield wondering if it has half stops like the tidioute?

by rockgolfer:

Ed, that orange crush is dreamy. Very nice. I think you have convinced me that the ruby red should be my backup 79. Liking the long nail pulls on the northfield wondering if it has half stops like the tidioute?

Yes, all the #79s have half-stops.

Ed, I really like the random jigging on the ruby red. Long pulls never hurt, either!

PS: I have the cousin of your Whittler, the Bighorn Moose (two large clip blades) in orange crush.

Thanks for the offer Trand. Would love to see your green 66 with your green 48 with the blades open. Might as well throw in the 85 for good measure ;) Thanks again for sharing

Here is just the #48J and #66J. The knives are lined up by their front bolsters in descending order by size closed.
IMG_3061.jpg

IMG_3065.jpg

Here is the #65 at the top, then #89, #48J, #85, #66, and #33
IMG_3056.jpg

IMG_3069.jpg

You the man Trand. Great comparison pics of the frames with blades open. Im sure this will help alot of folks out.

Thank you

p.s. Which one is your favorite?

Thanks to the OP for the idea, and to all who are contributing!

Most knives look the same size in pictures by themselves; having the side-by-side comparison with another model, especially a pattern that one is familiar with in-hand, is a great help.

That said, could anyone show a 56 (Dogleg Jack) next to a 25 or 68 (my two "known" patterns), and if possible a 66 Jack? Also, is Geppetto Whittler (57) built on the same frame as the 56, but with the main blade on the other end?

If I've missed the 56 in previous comparisons, I apologize, and appreciate being directed to the pictures. :)

... Should GEC come out with a 3.25" Jack, woe's my wallet-- though I still can't get over the 25s, and look forward to seeing what might be coming next.

Thanks.

~ P.

You the man Trand. Great comparison pics of the frames with blades open. Im sure this will help alot of folks out.

Thank you

p.s. Which one is your favorite?

Thanks again. The #48J is my favorite. I love the way the frame feels in my hand, its got a relatively large main blade (3 1/8") that can handle food prep chores, and a relatively large pen blade (2 1/8") that can do other dirtier work. The pen blade stock is thinner so it doesn't feel as thick in the pocket. The pen blade isn't noticeable when using the clip. Unfortunately, the clip is very noticeable to me when using the pen. I have a #48J sent out to have some work done that I hope to show later this year.

The #66 is also a favorite but I've started carrying a #33 since it is slightly smaller, much thinner, but still has the same blade utility, both have 2.5" main blades (give or take). I have a few #85s at this point but haven't carried one extensively to give it a fair review. It does feel great though. The #65 is too big for me to carry every day and I'm not a huge fan of having a wharncliffe blade as the only large blade so I haven't carried the #89 much. There is going to be a 2 blade #89 in 440c with spear main released soon so I'll probably pick one of those up.

I've posted this before but these are the 3 knives I mainly use. The #33 gets carried everywhere, the #48J is used most at home, and the #73 is used when I have to do heavier/dirtier cutting like breaking down boxes or in the garden. This #73 replaced one in jigged cherry as its got a lighter pull.
IMG_2883.jpg

the clip is very noticeable to me when using the pen. I have a #48J sent out to have some work done that I hope to show later this year.

Hmmmm, I bet I'm going to like the looks of it. :D:cool:

Great knives, ladies & gentleman.

Congratz on all of these bauties!

I gonna take a family shot tomorrow... Though not as much as all of yours, but already a nice collection (...and a #33 on the way from the US)

Kind regards
Andi

Thanks to the OP for the idea, and to all who are contributing!

Most knives look the same size in pictures by themselves; having the side-by-side comparison with another model, especially a pattern that one is familiar with in-hand, is a great help.

That said, could anyone show a 56 (Dogleg Jack) next to a 25 or 68 (my two "known" patterns), and if possible a 66 Jack? Also, is Geppetto Whittler (57) built on the same frame as the 56, but with the main blade on the other end?

If I've missed the 56 in previous comparisons, I apologize, and appreciate being directed to the pictures. :)

... Should GEC come out with a 3.25" Jack, woe's
my wallet-- though I still can't get over the 25s, and look forward to seeing what might be coming next.

Thanks.

~ P.

Your post sums up exactly why I started this thread. I thank everyone for playing along and helping us out. A 1/4 inch is a huge difference when it comes to slipjoints, atleast in my limited experience.

I too am waiting on a 57 to pop up in a collection shot and I will say that the 48j has caught my attention so far. I am my wallets own worst enemy lol

Jeff

Great info Trand. I can see the main blade being in the way when using the pen, look forward to seeing your customized piece as well.

Andi, Cant wait to see your collection. Bail or no bail on your 33?

Thanks Trand for those fantastic comparison shots. You have made me reconsider the 48. Like you, I find the 65 too large to carry, but I love the usefulness of it's long clip blade for food prep. The 48's blade is a little shorter, but would still be useful for food prep. If I was to get one, I think I would choose the single blade trapper.

... Should GEC come out with a 3.25" Jack, woe's my wallet

You and me both!

Fine pictures Trand, you really do justice to the Kryptonite and Tortoise two really appealing acrylics that must be difficult to photograph.

Major amount of grand stuff in this thread. I need to understand how to take pictures myself......

Regards, Will

Steve, the #56/57s are right at 3-1/2", the #66s are a sixteenth less than that at 3-7/16", the #33 Conductors are 3-5/16", and the #25/26s are about 1/32 over 3" even. Altogether that makes 4 frames, 6 patterns, all offered in 2-blade models, some with single blades and even a few with 3 blades between 3 and 3.5" closed. Yes, they have a lot of big knives too, but they have plenty of smaller offerings to choose from.

The whole GEC gang...

IMG_1767.jpg

From top to bottom:

#73 Beaver tail
Blade forum knife 2011
#66 Moose
#66 Serpentine Jack
#66 Serpentine Jack

I you wonder, why the Moose and the bottom #66 has no patina. I use to keep the blades well oiled all the time. The Moose is my sunday knife and the Will´s #66 has followed me on several outdoor trips.

Kind regards
Andi

Beautiful collection Andi, It saddens me every time I see a 2011 forum knife. I kick myself for not being into traditionals sooner, its a great looking functional knife(that I am constantly hunting down). I have debated on trying a 66 moose, any chance you could pull the other blade out to line up for compairison with the clips? That red bone is really growing on me as well. Thanks Andi :thumbup:

Beautiful collection Andi, It saddens me every time I see a 2011 forum knife. I kick myself for not being into traditionals sooner, its a great looking functional knife(that I am constantly hunting down). I have debated on trying a 66 moose, any chance you could pull the other blade out to line up for compairison with the clips? That red bone is really growing on me as well. Thanks Andi :thumbup:

Thank you, Sir. I know, not as big as many of the others here. But, being honest, I´m a little proud about my little collection :)
The BladeForumKnife was a gift of a great member here at the Forum. I made a thread about it, some time ago. A real great gesture.

The #66 Moose was a anniversary present from my wife :) :D It´s a great piece and very functional. You would like to see a pic of the spear blade in comparison to a #66 Serpentine Jack clip blade... here we go ;)

IMG_1774.jpg

I added the spear blade of the ForumKnife to see it also in camparison to the #66 Moose. I hope, this helps a little :)

Kind regards
Andi

Last edited:
Back