Great Eastern Cutlery/Tidioute

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by silenthunterstudios, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Every time I go to Scott Gossmans shop, he has a GEC Tidioute trapper sitting on his work table. He uses it sometimes, and I always marvel at it. I have had Case, Schrade, Uncle Henry, Queen and assorted other trappers, and none can hold up to that Tidioute. I wrote the model name down, can't find it. I believe it is called the Scout? I have been lusting after one of these since I saw them in one of the knife publications. Right now, I have a Buck 703, RAT railsplitter and a couple SAKs. I think I need to take a look at these GEC models.

2. Capt. Carl

Capt. Carl

Jun 16, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  3. Foilist

Foilist

Dec 20, 2004
    I discovered GEC a few months ago and have had a serious obsession ever since. My first one, a #25 Northfield Barlow in red buffalo horn, is en route!:D

I think the #23 Pioneer will be next, in grizzly cut bone.:thumbup:

4. Capt. Carl

Capt. Carl

Jun 16, 2006
    Cool! Hope you put some pics up when you get it! I've been eyein' that barlow because of the history behind the design. Stout lookin' little guy.

5. joe-bob

joe-bob

Sep 9, 2007
    I think you'll really like your GEC knife. I have half a dozen, with one on the way.
    TSA knives is great to deal with, as is Collectorknives.net.

6. lambertiana

lambertiana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2000
    It so happens that I recently picked up my first GEC, a #73 Scout in ebony
    [​IMG]

I highly recommend one!

7. CL01

CL01

Apr 19, 2007
    I've been looking & drooling for a while now. Guess I'll have to save my "pennies" & get one. Nice pics, BTW.

8. warden41272

warden41272

Oct 13, 2004
  9. Esav Benyamin

Esav Benyamin MidniteSuperMod

Apr 6, 2000
    I just got a GEC sunfish in "copper snake" acrylic from River Raisin Knife Co.. I always wanted a user sunfish and the collectibility of the design made most of them too expensive and the others looked like junk. This GEC is one solid working knife in 1095. I cut up a salad with it yesterday so I've got the beginnings of a patina going. :) The big spear blade looks like 3/32" and the pen is only 1/16" and both came razor sharp, no burr, either.

10. warden41272

warden41272

Oct 13, 2004
    I've gotten all mine from Sooner State Knives, so far. Best, fastest service I've ever gotten from a knife retailer. Selection of GEC knives is kinda small, though. They're sold out of most of the 'collector' knives, but still have the working ones, which is what I'm after. I know it sounds like I'm shilling for GEC and SSK, but I'm not. I just got superb service from one, and a superb product from the other.

11. Foilist

Foilist

Dec 20, 2004
    The little Barlow seems highly pocketable - sort of like a peanut on steroids.

I ordered from TSA knives; Greg has some sort of free shipping on GEC deal right now that was too good to pass up. I do like the huge selection at Collectorknives though.

Note: TSA Knives has NOTHING to do with the TSA goons that snatch folks' knives at the airport and then turn around and sell them. I have seen some posts that seem unclear on this due to the coincidental name.

12. okbohn

okbohn

May 26, 2006
    You should check out the 3 spring whittler! That is one NICE knife!

13. knifeswapper

knifeswapper Knife Peddler Dealer / Materials Provider

Sep 3, 2004
    If you don't find a GEC pattern you like, wait a few weeks. They are coming out with something new fairly often these days. Also, most distributors are setting within a dollar of the same price and if they don't have free shipping on all current GEC production just walk away.

Really heavy duty knives in a time where everything is getting lighter weight..

Mike Latham
    CollectorKnives.Net

14. moonwilson

moonwilson

Aug 10, 2006
    The GEC #73s are seriously well-made knives. I think I have six of them now. You'd have to try pretty hard to find a better, current production, traditional knife on the market- especially for the price.

15. oldrifleman

oldrifleman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 5, 2006
    I have the Northfield Stag version and it is great, probably the best built production knive I own. The only reason it is not in my pocket right now is the size. I am looking at the single blade version, my one thing is that it has the thumbnail pull, and my trapper has the long pulls which I love!

16. RedEdge77

RedEdge77

Jul 13, 2005
    Got my first GEC the other day, a #23 and I absolutely love it. My first experiences with slip joints were back in the old Schrade days. Around the time I turned 10 I became tactical :p. A few Christmas's ago I picked up a boker stockman, which I liked the way it looked, but performance could have been better. A case sod buster jr. soon followed which I really liked, but it was a little small for my liking. Well finally settled onto the GEC knives and found the perfect one. Couldn't be happier :thumbup:

17. okbohn

okbohn

May 26, 2006
    The single bladed versions are much more pocket friendly than the two bladed versions.

18. PB Wilson

PB Wilson

Jul 17, 2006
    Wow! This thread makes me really excited to get my first GEC knife. Just a few more days and I'll have the first slipjoint I've bought in many many years, a 73 with black buffalo horn scales.

It's great to read so many positive reviews. It's also great to see so many variations they have in their line. Make searching for them pretty exciting.

Now if I could find a 73 in that really cool burnt grizzly I'd be a very happy man.

19. fishface5

fishface5 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2001
    I lost my 73 in river bone somewhere, it's killing me! I had added a long pull to it, smotthed it out just the way I liked it, and whammo! It's gone!

So now I see that some 73s are being made with a long pull, but it only seems to be the 2-blade models - has anyone seen a #73 long-pulll with a single blade? I NEEDS it!

20. PB Wilson

PB Wilson

Jul 17, 2006
    I also think a long pull, single blade would look great.