Great Movie Knives

The Joe Kious fighter from the movie Exposure..( A High Art )

[video=youtube;CSwrE-I3MHM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSwrE-I3MHM[/video]

In the new Wolverine movie, Wolvie fights a couple of Yakuza thugs on top of a bullet train. At least one of them is carrying what appears to be a Cold Steel Magnum Tanto of some sort, and actually uses it to anchor himself to the roof of the train(by stabbing it through the roof, see, he must have watched the Cold Steel proof vids!)

Hard to beat this in Max Payne
DSC04623_zpsf8b1dd40.jpg

DSC04622_zps8efc11ba.jpg

DSC04625_zps764da52f.jpg

Sorry for the poorly taken pics.

Cobra

I think the best part of that intro had to of been the “one-liners” - best I’ve seen to date (as far as 80’s & 90’s action movies go ;)).

I got around to watching The Hunger Games last night...the main character uses a sawback knife of some sort a couple of times, no idea what sort it is, but it definitely came in handy for her. Pretty sure it's a prop knife, but I dunno if it's based on any actual design. It looked kinda goofy tbh. The male lead for a time carries a Cold Steel Bowie Bushman converted into a spear. Couple of the other characters carry unknown knives of various sorts, one of the main girls on the "villain" team carried an assortment of throwing knives(looks like your standard cheap United Cutlery or Budk sort), one guy killed another one with a kukri of some sort...various others showed up briefly at least.

Yep, I heard that it was just dreamed-up by the lady propmaster of the movie and not a real design. Just expedience for the film with a little creative license (of course it needs to have a sawback right?)

Think I spotted a Cold Steel Magnum Tanto in the new Wolverine trailer. And a Cold Steel Hold out in Red 2.

Really? 7 pages and no one says: the wire handled Gil Hibben bowie from Natural Born Killers?

btw - don't NKP hate watching movies with y'all? pausing it, frame by framing it cause you NEED to know what that was LOL.

I fell in love with that knife the second I saw it. The only decent part of the entire movie is that knife, and the fake sitcom.

Some of my favorite blades in movies for various reasons:
Wilkes' SOG Bowie in Uncommon Valor
Billy Fish's kukri in The Man Who Would Be King
Bishop and the MkII in Aliens
"Sting" from LOTR/The Hobbit
Dar's sword in The Beastmaster, (showing my age a bit there).
Inigo Montoya's rapier, (The Princess Bride)
The Green Destiny, (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon)
Just a few of my picks...

Parker. Fully serrated Stainless Steel Spyderco Police. Statham seems to like his knives.

hmm, I dunno if I can pin it down to one, but I know this, did anyone else find it unusual that a killer in the "Boondock Saints" was holder a folder to that guy's throat? Looked like a Buck 110. What killer? I dunno, what guy's throat, I dunno that either.

I watched "Olympus has fallen" a little while back and there were some cool OTF autos, I don't know if they were good ones or just cheap props.
Just saw this as well and was wondering what they were too. Good knife fights and and some blade in the skull kills. Good times!

I've been working as an extra on the set for the 2nd season to NBC's "Revolution". I got to take a look at all the prop weapons they've been issuing to "tribesmen", aka wild hairy people. Here's a shot of me holding the 2 largest machetes they have for the show.

The machetes are 46.5 inches long, weigh about 9 pounds each, are dull as dish water and just a tad "point heavy". The balance point is about 17 or 18 inches pointward of the "scales", which are made of either birch or ash. Needless to say, as prop weapons,they have never been through a heat treatment cycle.

They also have 4 or 5 37 inch machetes, but they were in use at the time I was allowed into the prop storage area. The 2 guys these had been issued to had been "killed off" the day before, which is why I got to play with them.

The prop lady said she thought that they were used in the movie "Machete", also.

2 revolution machetes.jpg

Last edited:
Zeb Macahans knife in "How the west was won". Was that a Western W49 with stag grips??

Last edited:
Back