Great Music/Traditional Music

Buckeye,

Great sound on this veuze. This instrument is more from the east part of Brittany and i'm more used to the biniou koz of the western part, but i do like the sound John Skelton gets on his own, much softer than the harsh biniou.

Thanks.

Doug,

Who is the guy who plays pipes? He has a great drive and sound. Please let me know and thanks for this excellent one.

Here's my contribution, as said rightly Buckeye in a post celtic musicians don't limit their directory to their area. One of the best breton "biniaouer" playing a scottish tune on the big pipe:

[youtube]S_aH0L-QkNo[/youtube]

More to come.

dantzk.

Nice one. I love those piobaireachd tunes. :thumbup:

I'll stick a vid in here too. One of my very favorite groups, Lunasa:

[youtube]5tdZk2rzJuY[/youtube]

There were a couple of great series on Irish television about traditional music that have been uploaded to youtube. One series is about the different regional styles in Irish music (the differences can be quite dramatic) and in the other each episode profiles a different instrument and talks about how they're made and their part in the tradition.

I can post up the first part of each episode (it's easy enough to click through the other parts) if folks are interested?

Last edited:
Hi buckeye,

An other side of the way breton music is played, harpist Cecile Corbel playing "An hini a garan", " the one i love":

[youtube]667VXGPz8J0&feature=related[/youtube]

dantzk.

Last edited:
if folks are interested?

Oh yes! I've travelled many times in Eire when i was young enough to spend nights listening to virtuoso people coming from the next door. How many pints of Guiness have i drunk? I can't say.

dantzk.

Ok, here goes. As I said, this is part one of each episode of these series.

***Oh, and fair warning - these shows are in Gaelic with English subtitles.*** :D

The first series is called "Canuinti Ceoil" (The Accent of Music). This one talks about the different regional styles found in Irish music.

Episode 1: Overview
Episode 2: Sliabh Luachra
Episode 3: Donegal
Episode 4: Clare
Episode 5: Fermanagh
Episode 6: Connacht

This series is called "Ceird an Cheoil" (Craft of Music). This is the one that profiles a different instrument in each episode. It doesn't cover every instrument (the harp is notably absent), but it's pretty interesting.

Episode 1: Accordion
Episode 2: Piano
Episode 3: Bouzouki
Episode 4: Harmonica
Episode 5: Low Whistle
Episode 6: Guitar
Episode 7: Flute
Episode 8: Concertina
Episode 9: Violin
Episode 10: Tenor Banjo
Episode 11: Bodhran
Episode 12: Uilleann Pipes

---------------------------

Lovely song by Cecile too. I'm a sucker for a girl with a harp. ;)

Thanks Doug.

For you, this, from the great Bothy Band:

[youtube]ASKwb3lZKz4[/youtube]

[youtube]lHyCRE5pesI[/youtube]

Buckeye,

I can't thank you enough for the links. That's a mine of knowledge. To thank you, this:

[youtube]DKvVMvA9GcY[/youtube]

[youtube]6IWb3UIDSqg&feature=related[/youtube]

Last edited:
Gotta love the Bothy Band. :)

Matt Molloy is amazing. There's another cool series on RTE.ie called "The Full Set" that features different musicians playing and talking about the music. Matt Molloy and John Carty were featured on one.

The Full Set - Series 1

All of the Series 1 episodes are there for viewing. The Mike McGoldrick/Dezi Donnelly episode is pretty awesome too.

Earl Scruggs And Lester Flatt - Cripple Creek

[youtube]B4sqishGuYw[/youtube]

Mountain Dulcimer Music - Roger Patterson

[youtube]oRebcdtSrZY[/youtube]

Wildwood Flower on dulcimer

[youtube]mzMzdrC0OYc&feature=related[/youtube]

Little Walter

[youtube]0GMaWqDziuU&feature=related[/youtube]

Thank YOU, dantzk8 !
Those Bothy boys are something special ! :thumbup:

When I think Flatt & Scruggs this comes to mind every time.
My Grass Is Blue. :D

[youtube]APl9fRFmdC0[/youtube]

Back