Green handled trash or treasure?

Codger_64

Some years back, just before Christmas, I let it slip that I loved my Schrade knives. The family knows I am obsessed with deer hunting and always look for some sort of related presents. I opened not one, but four Schrade boxes that Christmas morning. Expectant eyes of kids and adults watched and waited as all four knives were laid out on the coffee table next to socks and underwear (traditional "wise-men" type gifts). A 140 trailboss, 141 outfitter, 142 guidemaster, and a 143 bladerunner. Gleaming stainless blades and soft green handles, obviously screaming "deer hunter".

That week, I put them to the test. Then they were each carefully cleaned and oiled, boxed, and put in my hunting chest. I went back to my carbon bladed, sawcut delrin scaled old timers.

What say ye? Was I too hasty in my judgement? They did sell a world of these knives before moving on to the x knives. Am I just an esthetically prejudiced old Codger? :confused:

Codger

You did right, the socks received are also important, I hope you remembered to put the knives in the socks before storing to keep them warm.

Actually, I think those knives are fine, but there´s just something special about them Old Timers.

Luis

I kinda liked those big old green handled monsters. Good sheath, what with the plastic insert. But yeah, I understand, I think all we deer hunters have a favorite knife for dealing with our kills.

Phil

To me, the knives were just "not right". Sounds silly, I guess. The blades were sharp enough out of the box. The handles were "sticky" and provided good grip, even if they were a bit oversized to me.

Back last century, my father passed away unexpectedly. Among my inheritance was an old Winchester model 94 and the tiny little old timer folder. That fall, I shot a deer I rattled up with Grandpaws 1959 antlers using the Winchester and processed it with that knife smaller than my little finger. Both were then retired, but I proved to myself that it does not take a big bullet or a big blade to do the job.

Perhaps it is just that sort of connection with the past that attracts me so to the OT delrin Schrades. Maybe my son and daughter will feel the same way about the gleaming greenies I've kept in that hunting box.

Just curious what model was the the little SCHRADE you inherited from your dad?

My eyes are not sharp enough to read the tiny tang stamp, but it is a two blade folder about 2 1/4" long closed. I don't have a camera, or I could e-mail a picture. I'll see if I can find my magnifying glass!

Codger

There are 3 large green rubber handled folders that I know of.

The 43OT Pocket Beast, 47OT Beast and 49OT Rhino.

There are also 3 OTG's which are Green handled Delrin. They are the 5OTG, 53OTG and 55OTG

Hope that helps some.

TTYL
Larry

Patriots and Sox on today and I got to watch both. Heaven!

Both were winners.....what a great time to be a sports fan in the New England area. Good luck!!!

How is your car? Do you let Phil ride in it to cruise for Ellenville maidens? :D

Schrade content......Is the Green Bruin part of this mix, as far as handle material and such?

Bill

Bill,

Phil has ridden with me only once. His arm hair started falling out all by itself and he was thinking of trading in his X series for the car.. No maidens were visible during our short ride, sideways across a highway.

The Schrade 5OTG "Bruin" is a green delrin handled knife. The 5OT's & its cousin's the 5UH, 55UH are on my top ten for best pocket knives.

Keep your fingers crossed for the Red Sox. It's been an awful long time since they have won a World Series.

TTYL
Larry

After what I've seen and read here, I might just drop a hint about X-timers for this Christmas. Heck, I use a bunch of those disposable bic razors in a year's time! Guess that that with three or four of those black X's, I could keep the beard at bay and the wife's legs shaved too! That's it! Great idea! I'll get HER a set of those blades for Christmas! Won't she be pleased and surprised!?

Codger

I owned a few of those myself when they came out about 7, 8 years ago? The "newsness" quickly wore out and I decided they were to ugly too use.

FWIW, my dad used to use an 147OT on his house boat along with a few others. The lake is actually where I saw most of this series, and they seemed to work well for that purpose, i.e. use around water.

When he sold his boat, I wound up with the 147OT and some of the misc tools (he let me have anthing he had doubles of, and he had other "fillet" knifes.) I think most of the other green handles(2?) are still in his tackle boxes. I'll ask next time I see him.

The few times I've used it were times when I new my hands were going to be wet or slimey. If I ever get a boat, I plan to make its home there. Here it is with its little cousins:
147ot15ot162uh.JPG

How about a 154G? I just "oops"'d one on ebay. Oh well, it went cheaper than I thought it would.

Back