Green to Tan ??? Any ideas ???

Recon1

Banned
My buddy sent me some pics of a camping trip he went on and a few shots had his RC-5 and an RTAK II in them.

I noticed that his RTAK had tan colored scales on it. When I asked him about why he changed them he said he didn't. They just came that way.

As the same basic materials get used for the ESEE knives I thought i'd post this in here first. Mods feel free to move it if you feel it is out of place.

I'm pretty certain Ontario never sold the RTAK II with tan scales so my question is, has anyone in here (with all of this canvas floating around) ever seen the green turn into tan from use or storage?

Perplexing.

I have one, tan scales and green blade. I bought it brand new, about three years ago. the slabs are getting darker with age and use (before long they will be green)
dave

My RTAK-2 scales are also tan. Well one is, the other got some oil on it that doesnt come off. Its dark brown now....

Weird.

I can't judge his tan scales by my RATs and Ontarios because I take USMC BLACK Leather Dye to all of my scales when I get them but the fact that they can change colors is nuts.

Green canvas micarta ,it looks tan or Brown but it is actually Green when made. they darken with use ,sweat ,grime etc will darken them,use Dawn dish soap with warm water and clean up nicely.

Green canvas micarta ,it looks tan or Brown but it is actually Green when made. they darken with use ,sweat ,grime etc will darken them,use Dawn dish soap with warm water and clean up nicely.

Pretty much what I told him about his knife but this thing is straight up desert tan.
What really gets me is that his looks too uniform and "clean" to not be made that way. It's just strange enough that I though I'd mention it.

I'll stick with the black. :D

Top is an RTAK II, the bottom is an RC5 with green canvas. (the middle is my 6 when she was pretty :) The apparent color varies depending on light, and dirt level. In photos, there's a wide variety of colors seen, mostly due to varying lighting and camera settings. Either way, the knives still cut stuff.

web.jpg

Back