Greenhorn Help Plz

Uncle Timbo

Gold Member
Guys I'm a 62 y/o complete newbie when it comes rehandling a hatchet or an axe. I will read any and all stickies at the top but I have a burning question.
Why do the handles on some hatchet and axes, stick up appx 1/2" or so above the head on some brands?
Does it make a tighter, more secure head?

On wedge-fit heads you don't usually see that large of an overhang--you'd usually see 1/4" or less. That's more typical of slip-fit handles where the whole handle passes through the top of the eye. Then having the extra wood makes it so if humidity changes cause the fit to loosen it's easy to just tap the handle a little further down into the eye to tighten it up.

I think it is fashion started by Gransfors Bruk as part of their design strategy. I think it may have a small effect on keeping the head on if it is wedged so the part of the top that sticks out is wider than the eye.

It's only been in the past few years that manufacturers (some such as Wetterlings) have begun to abandon the traditional 'factory flush cut' eye. This was the standard mark of quality for the longest time but heads do (and always have) worked loose and purposely leaving a piece of haft sticking out on a factory hang was like an admission of guilt, or shoddy workmanship.
But an uncompressed (but wedged) haft swells over time and serves to lock the handle in place and allows the user to whittle away the end wood in order to get at the wedge if it ever needs to be replaced, or driven in further. As a hobbyist you can't go wrong in deciding to do this.

Thanks 300six. At age 62, I'll be a hobbiest, until I die, prolly. I mean I don't figure I'll hang that many axes or hatchets.

Thanks 300six. At age 62, I'll be a hobbiest, until I die, prolly. I mean I don't figure I'll hang that many axes or hatchets.
Poke around in various threads in this forum to see how heads are being hung these days. Leaving the handle 3/16 - 1/4 inch proud has pretty much become standard practice on here thanks to various meaningful discussions by experienced users. City of the South (COTS), for one, has a dedicated thread devoted to carving and hanging masterpieces and it's well worth inspecting everything in there. Put a towel over your lap to catch the drool!

Thanks brother. I did alot of things throughout my life. But I'd say for at least 20 of them, I was a carpenter. So it might not be too bad. I just need to develope technique.
I will definitely check out Mr. COTS axeisms.
There's nothing like experience.

Back