Greg

Hey Bugs,

On page 13 of my book "Wilderness Survival" I am all dressed up for a winter snowshoeing trip in northern montana. Wonderful trip. the knife is something I have talked about with passion for years. It is a bolo. Bought it for $10 in the phillipines (I was a very poor enlisted USAF Survival Instructor). The blade is from a truck spring (at least that was what I was told...I am sure some of you knife experts, which I am not, can correct me if I am wrong) and is not tempered. I liked it for two reasons...

1. I couldn't afford to feed my family yet alone own an expensive big knife.
2. I could beat the heck out of it and it always managed to do the job I needed done. It did however, manage to get dented very easily and loss its edge fast.
3. If I lost it I would have only been out $10.
4. I like the balance of the design.

My last two trips I have used the Anaconda (Hoods Woods) which is a good knife. However, I still have a fond place in my heart for my $10 bolo.....

------------------
Greg Davenport
http://www.ssurvival.com
Are You Ready For The Challenge?
Are You Ready To Learn The Art Of Wilderness Survival?

Greg, when were you in the PI??? I was TDY there from 89-92 (stationed at Kadena) more times than I care to remember
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Ever visit the Nepa Hut, Third eye, Vampires, Abby Road, Monsters of Rock to name a few
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

I had a few bolo's picked up from vendors on Clark, dumbest thing I ever did was to give most of them away upon PCSing. Only have 2 left and they are the big rambo style ones.

Okinawa 83-86. Those bolo's were very popular. for the poor GI, they were the best we could do. Tell you what...3 years in the far east is enough.

I was a good boy. Happily married when I went there....no $5 bar finds on my belt :>). I am still married to the same person that spent 3 years there with me. We met ten couples when we first arrived there. We are the only couple that is still married...

------------------
Greg Davenport
http://www.ssurvival.com
Are You Ready For The Challenge?
Are You Ready To Learn The Art Of Wilderness Survival?

Back