Gregory VS Osprey

The Warrior

๐Ÿ‡ฎโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ณโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ธโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ฆโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ณโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ชโ€Œ ๐Ÿ‡ปโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ฎโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ฐโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ฎโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ณโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ฌโ€Œ
Any thoughts about these 2 brands? Going to get a new pack, and was wondering what people thought, especially between the Gregory Baltoro series versus the Osprey Aether series. Thanks.

They're just that, "brands". I've ended up with 3 Ospreys, but that's because they fit me better, not because they were made by Osprey.
That said, the Aether is probably lighter, and cooler on the back. I believe the Baltoro might be closer to the Argon series.
When pack shopping, I took Rubbermaid totes with all my gear to the different local shops, and spent hours trying on, and wearing, packs with the actual gear I'd be carrying. Also took a pen and notebook, and made notes of my likes and dislikes about the different packs.
I wasn't even considering the Osprey Exos, because I didn't like the similar Atmos' hipbelt(redesigned last year). Really just tried it to confirm my dislike, but the Exos 46, and later the 58, is what I bought after all was said and done. As it turned out, the medium size fit like it was custom made for my 19.5" torso.
My third Osprey is a Manta daypack. I wanted it, but spent quite some time confirming that want before buying one.
Get what works for you. You can't see the brand name when it's on your back.

I have several Osprey packs including the Atmos and the Aether. I could not be happier with them. I've never owned a Gregory, but I tried on a few models at the local REI and found them not as comfortable.

I prefer Osprey packs as they fit me well and I like their features. With that said, I found a great deal on a Gregory Z65 and it’s been my primary, large backpacking pack for the past couple of years. I’ll continue to use it until I find a deal on an Osprey, but as mentioned, try them both out and just like Owen, try to load them up with what you typically take. Fitting a pack is best when filled with your normal packing weight.

Now, my wife swears by Osprey but she has the women’s models and they have been the most comfortable packs for her.

ROCK6

Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it. One of the problems I have, is there's no place locally that sells them. The reason I'm asking about the Osprey, and Gregory brands, is that they come highly rated when you read reviews. There were others as well, but way more than I have, or even want to spend.

Back when i worked in a climbing/backpacking/camping store we rented backpacking equipment and so were able to try most any tent/sleeping bag/pack that was in the rental program. This, plus having the gear "in-store" so we could play around with it helped me gain an appreciation for the truly quality brands vs just a name (for backpacks, Mountainsmith=*crap*, The North Face =*crap*, etc). Most gear manufacturers made great gear at one time or another and all have made stinkers......

We found Gregory (when Wayne Gregory still owned the company), Dana Designs (when Dana Gleason owned the company), Osprey and Arc'teryx to be the highest quality and "best" designs/fit/finish. With the larger expedition packs we rated Gregory 1st and a close 2nd to Dana Designs. OK, a McHale is gonna be tops in any configuration as is any other custom, but you asked about Gregory and Osprey only....

However, regardless of the quality (once you're at the top and not splittin' hairs), the way a pack fits (along with boots and sleeping bags) is tantamount to user satisfaction.

Im lucky enough to have a couple REIs around so I have tried them all on...most people come down to these brands as they are both great. Im 6ft and 215lbs, so Im not a giant, but not small either, my shoulders are not slim, so what I found was that Gregory was the better fit for me, and the guy helping me said the same, that the Osprey are a tad more slender in the shoulders, they pinched mine too much. So I would say if you cant try them on, if your shoulders are wider go with Gregory, if you have more narrow shoulders either will work, but you could try the Osprey without worry.

I have a Gregory Palisades 80, and couldn't be more pleased with it. Easy to adjust, great hip belt, and very well made. Getting one that was a year old color at a discount at EMS made it an even sweeter purchase.
If you are on a budget, check out Deuter packs. We got my wife one on closeout at REI, again an older color, for a very sweet price.
It's great for her because she is 4'11", and it adjusts properly to fit her spine length. They have nice suspension systems, and it seems well sewn and designed.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it. One of the problems I have, is there's no place locally that sells them. The reason I'm asking about the Osprey, and Gregory brands, is that they come highly rated when you read reviews. There were others as well, but way more than I have, or even want to spend.
If you've got it down to those two packs, order both from somewhere with a good return policy, try them at home, and send back the runner up(or both, if it turns out neither floats your boat). This is not an uncommon practice with many products, and nothing unethical about it as long as you are up front about what you're doing, and don't mess anything up. Another advantage of that is that you are not left wondering if you made the wrong choice.

When I was looking for a pack last year my decision came down to the same two packs - Baltoro vs Aether. Both were comfortable in the store (REI) when weighted with 30 lbs or so. Even though the Baltoro was slightly more comfy, I had already been using an Osprey Stratos 36 for about a year and loved it, so I felt confident that the Aether would work. I like the features of the Aether a little better and in the end that is what made the decision for me.

After having some time with the Aether I only have two small dislikes; the zipper on the sleeping bag compartment is a little stiff to open when the bag is packed full and I wish the bottom sleeping pad straps were a bit longer. Those are minor issues for me though.

Both are quality packs - pick the one you like better.

Thanks guys. I don't have the money to order both packs. Poor white boy here. I guess I could order one, send it back, order the other, and hope I like the second one better, haha.

Im lucky enough to have a couple REIs around so I have tried them all on...most people come down to these brands as they are both great. Im 6ft and 215lbs, so Im not a giant, but not small either, my shoulders are not slim, so what I found was that Gregory was the better fit for me, and the guy helping me said the same, that the Osprey are a tad more slender in the shoulders, they pinched mine too much. So I would say if you cant try them on, if your shoulders are wider go with Gregory, if you have more narrow shoulders either will work, but you could try the Osprey without worry.
I'm 6'2", 275 lbs, with very broad shoulders. I used to be a weight lifter. My torso length is in the 21 1/2" area.

I just discovered last night that there's an REI in St. Louis, which is only about an hour and a half from me. I'll at least be able to go try them on. I can find them cheaper online elsewhere though.

My last trip to REI was to purchase a pack in the 30-35 liter range. The two finalist were the Osprey Kestrel 32 and the Gregory Z35. I went home with the Osprey I found it to be more adjustable and I personally thought the build quaility to be a bit better.

Both are amazing pack that will last a lifetime I just prefer Osprey.

I've had a couple large and small packs from both of the brands that you're looking at, and I've found that the current line of Osprey seems to be substantially better than the current Gregory line. Both of the new framed Gregory packs that I've purchased ended up with broken hipbelts. They both sheared at the pivot. That being said, I've still got one of the original Gregory Reality pack that's over 10 years old that still carries like a champ!

Another option you might want to look into is picking up a used Arc'teryx Bora bag. I've a 2001 and 2006 Bora 95 that are without a doubt the most bombproof and comfortable carrying packs I've ever seen. You may be able to get a new one at a good price since the whole Bora line is being discontinued for 2013.

Bought a couple of Osprey packs, they're the most comfortable and durable packs I've ever owned. Based on my experience, I'd recommend the brand, but the pack fitting will have to be your own.

Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it.

I loved my big Gregory pack but if I bought one today, between the two I'd go Osprey. I like the fit better.

Went to Scheels tonight. They do carry Osprey, but only some of the smaller type packs. They had a Kelty Redcloud 90 there. Damn, what a behemoth of a pack. 92L:

412.jpg

412_1_.jpg

I currently own a few osprey packs, from a 10L running pack up to a 50L atmos. I really like the osprey packs for the blend of comfort and quality. I generally use the small size pack since I'm not a big guy. (5' 7" 160lb).
I think you will be pretty happy with any Osprey pack you choose.

Back