"Grill somethin"

Bare with me...
My wife and I take care of my dad who has Alzheimer's. He was in a bit of a foul mood today. He's as sweet as can be until we have to clean and change him. He yells and swears a bit and that gets my mother upset because she feels guilty for the things we do on an every day basis. I calmed my mother down by explaining that it was a blessing for me to take care of them. I told her that dad had made me promise when I was only 17 "Don't let me die on a pee stained bed". I gave my word and now I'm keeping it. I also like knowing that he's getting better care than he would in a home. We moved them next to us months ago so I reminded my mom that this was the plan the whole time. She just gave me a hug and said God bless ya'll.
Long story short my wife said afterwards "lets just call off the bonfire and cookout with the kids." She could tell that I was a bit more rattled than usual. I decided to go through with it and I sure am glad I did. The kids rode their little atv's around the yard, I got a big fire going, my son and I did some chopping and made some spears and the wife and I got to relax a bit. There's nothing like some time around a fire with the smell of wood, charcoal and near burnt hot dogs. To top it off my wife said let's just take the hot dogs inside and eat there...My 8yr old son said your a guppie. He meant yuppie, the term from duck dynasty. Hah!

I guess I kind of wrote this for myself but also to make a couple points. It's never too early to Grill something and God is good.

Good for you for taking care of your parents. Its really hard. Its also really important to make a bonfire and enjoy yourself once in a while. Lots of caregivers just get ground down by the unending work and the fact that it can be very sad to have to see your parent, who very likely was a strong person for you to lean on when you were young goes through something like this.

Bare with me...
My wife and I take care of my dad who has Alzheimer's. He was in a bit of a foul mood today. He's as sweet as can be until we have to clean and change him. He yells and swears a bit and that gets my mother upset because she feels guilty for the things we do on an every day basis. I calmed my mother down by explaining that it was a blessing for me to take care of them. I told her that dad had made me promise when I was only 17 "Don't let me die on a pee stained bed". I gave my word and now I'm keeping it. I also like knowing that he's getting better care than he would in a home. We moved them next to us months ago so I reminded my mom that this was the plan the whole time. She just gave me a hug and said God bless ya'll.
Long story short my wife said afterwards "lets just call off the bonfire and cookout with the kids." She could tell that I was a bit more rattled than usual. I decided to go through with it and I sure am glad I did. The kids rode their little atv's around the yard, I got a big fire going, my son and I did some chopping and made some spears and the wife and I got to relax a bit. There's nothing like some time around a fire with the smell of wood, charcoal and near burnt hot dogs. To top it off my wife said let's just take the hot dogs inside and eat there...My 8yr old son said your a guppie. He meant yuppie, the term from duck dynasty. Hah!

I guess I kind of wrote this for myself but also to make a couple points. It's never too early to Grill something and God is good.

God bless you for this. I know something of what you're going through, as my father has dementia. I've had to do things for him that I never imagined that I would, but, like you, I count it as a blessing and a privilege to be able to give back to him, even though in small part, what he unselfishly gave to me my entire life.

Thanks guys. It's amazing how 1hr of peace around a fire or any outdoor rec. can alleviate 8 hrs of strife.

Back