1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Grinder belt issue

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Trauma, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Trauma

Trauma Gold Member Gold Member

May 26, 2019
    When I put a belt on my 2x72 grinder it has a "shimmy" to it. I was told it is because the belt is skewed cut. Did I buy the wrong belts? I ordered them from Pops. Is this a common problem? Will it cause grinding issues?

2. Tim Pollack

Tim Pollack KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 24, 2012
    Make sure you have enough tension on the belt.

3. AVigil

AVigil Adam Vigil knifemaker working the grind Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Platinum Member

Feb 17, 2009
    What belt is it?

Cheap belts shimmy far more then expensive belts.

Also if you left the belt under tension over night it can cause the belt to shimmy. When I do this I turn the grinder on at high speed and let the grinder run uninterrupted for 20 minutes. This often will take the shimmy out.

Justin Schmidt likes this.
  4. weo

weo KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 21, 2014
    It'll sure make chasing a clean plunge line difficult....

Storm W likes this.
  5. robwil

robwil

Aug 18, 2007
    You don't have any grinding residue or other particles trapped under the belt do you? Does the belt track the way it should? Could be a defective belt. Is it only the one belt?

6. seanj

seanj

Mar 1, 2010
    Unless the belt specifies a specific direction to put it on your grinder, try turning it around in the other direction and see if you get the same result. It could also be you need more tension on the belt.

7. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    i agree with more tension. also when you press your blade against the belt, if it moves to one side, that is also a sign of not enough tension.

8. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    How many belts you try ?