Grinder Motor

I have Just Recently Recieved KMG grinder and am now in the market for a motor and controler i wan i want 2 hp reversable variable speed any sagestions?

That's what we've been talking about for the last couple days. Check this post out: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=237714 (Look for the post within that thread by Itrade and then look for his answer to my question.) Also, look at my post 'compressor duty motors' that I just posted this evening. Also, look at the post 'Roger, it works' by Itrade - just posted today.

I to am in a motor decision delima. I am about to order a Coote 2 X 72. I wish I had the bucks for KMG but maybe later.

If I go AC, which I think I will, I'll use stepper pulleys for speed control.

Roger

Marshall,

That's funny I have a 2hp motor and am waiting for my KMG grinder. Too bad we don't live closer together!

Here's another thread where we've been talking about my setup.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=238472

I couldn't spring for the packaged 2hp variable speed setup. So, I hunted around and came up with this one. Can't say how it'll work in the long haul. But I have the exact same criteria: variable speed and reversable.

Say, where is Hesperia? Bring your grinder over and let's try it out.

Steve

I have a KMG,and if I am not mistaken,I do not think they should be run in revers.I could be mistaken,but it is better to check.:confused:

Thanks Nathan,

I did check. Rob said it was OK. His hesitation wasn't technical - it's danger.

However, I want to sharpen blades across the top of the belt and assured him I would go real slow. In fact he's making me a custom platen bracket just for that purpose.

What guy! It's so nice to work with Rob.

Steve

PS My jealousy over your KMG should be coming to a close real soon.:D

Steve
I sharpen right were the belt runs over the contact wheel
it is nice and tight there and is excellent for braking a new edge
I will be interested to see the platen.You are right Rob is a excellent guy to work with.
:)

All you guys out there buying or considering this new grinder should
check out Ed Cafferys site and/or as Rob Frink about Cafferys platen
design!!

Well, we (Marshall and I) have kind of decided against using one of those surplus motors and building our own setup. Too much hassle and possibility of failure.

Can anyone just suggest a pre-built, warrantied, 1-2 hp variable speed motor? It will cost us more, but we want the grinder running ASAP.

Rob can get you a 1.5 or 2hp motor with Leeson controller set up and ready to go. I've seen and used this setup when Rob did a demo - very nice. It ain't cheap, but it's a sold set up and ready to go. The biggest premium is the jump from 1.5 to 2hp.

Bob

Originally posted by southriv
Rob can get you a 1.5 or 2hp motor with Leeson controller set up and ready to go. I've seen and used this setup when Rob did a demo - very nice. It ain't cheap, but it's a sold set up and ready to go. The biggest premium is the jump from 1.5 to 2hp.

Was that the AC or DC model listed here?

Back