Grinder Question for you guys

I was wondering what kind of grinder the two of you use to make your knives? I am looking into making my own blades and have been reading all sort of information about grinders. Its all a little confusing, so I figured I would just ask the guys who make my favorite knives what they use.

Thanks,

alan, i cut my teeth on a grizzly and still grind with one today, aswell chris grinds with a grizzly, it will stock remove and u can use it to grind aswell a very vesitile machine, i myself have a bader b3 i use but in my own opinion the grizzly is your best and cheapest route ,im sure chris will chime in on this aswell,thanks bill

Good question Alan. I use a Grizzly that I talked Bill out of. It is a single speed that runjs screaming fast! I love the thing as it is easy to adjust and has enough power for what you need. Being able to slow the speed down would be nice in certain situations. I figure if I can grind on a Grizzly I will kick butt with slower speeds! Ill let Bill talk about his, you will probably be surprised with his answer. I know of guys that only use a disc grinder and make beautiful knives. Grinding is something that takes practice practice practice.

Thanks guys I will take a look at the Grizzly. I had been looking at the Bader B3 and have also herd allot of good things about the KMG.

Alan, the KMG is the it grinder now. It seems like everyone has one. Its all in the budget you have. Small stuff adds up when you are setting up a shop. Hell, abrasives will run you $300.00 or so just to get started right. Come up with a budget and go from there. The grinder, though, will be the most used thing you own IMO.

Just a thought, if KMG is whats everyone want right now you should be able to get a good deal on one
of the other brands in the "pre-owned" market.

Maybe so IM. There actually is a guy right down the road from us in Oakdale, Wayne Coe, that sells a KMG like grinder. He has multiple motor options that you can choose from. He is a well respected guy in the knifemaking community. I think for a variable speed 2 hp jobby it will run around $1300.00 give or take. The Grizzly is about $600.00 I think with a 1 hp motor.

Well i figure this is going to be an ongoing project, and I don't have to go buy it all tomorrow...so the budget can be whatever is has to be to get quality equipment that will last.

also, i was looking around the Grizzly site and really like the looks of this little guy:
h0626.jpg

Specifications:
  • Motor: 3/4 H.P. 110V, 1725 RPM
  • Overall height: 38"
  • Spindle travel: 3-1/4"
  • Swing: 13-1/4"
  • Drill chuck: 1/64"-5/8" (1-16mm)
  • Number of speeds: 12
  • Range of speeds: 12(250-3050 RPM)
  • Table: Round 12-3/8" Dia.
  • Table swing: 360°
  • Approx. shipping weight: 127 lbs.

either that or their radial drill press

Another essential tool! I have Grizzlys and some Harbor Freight stuff. The little 1x30 Harbor Freight belt sander is great for sharpening and they are cheap.

would a small milling machine be a better choice than a drill press?

sorry to keep bothering you guys with these questions, but this whole new world of tools has opened up that I know almost nothing about.

No problem Alan. I would go with the drill press. A milling machine would be really nice for folders

OK so this is the list I have come up with so far. Let me know what you think. IS there anything major missing?

Knife making tools (stock removal):

Sturdy Workbench

Safety:
• Respirator
• Eye Pro
• Gloves

Power Tools:
• Belt Sander/Grinder
• Band Saw
• Drill Press
-Drum sander
-Drill press vise
-Dual Cross Slide Milling Table
• Combo Bench sander
• Bench Grinder
• Scroll Saw
• Dermal
• 1800 watt heat gun
• Large electric soldering iron
• Hand Drill

Hand Tools
• Vanier Calipers
• Dial Calipers
• Set of micrometers
• Files (Various lengths and cuts):
-Flat/mill Files
-Taper files
-Half-Round Files
-Square Files
-Crossing Files
-Square edge joint file
-Single cut
-Double cut
-Full round
-Triangular
-A set of small hobbyist's files
• Small Bench Block
• Counter sink set
• Drill Bit set
-Complete set; High Speed Straight Shank (H.S.S.S.) Sizes 1/16-1/2-inch
-Cobalt grade if available
• Bench Vice
• Scriber (carbide tip)
• Center punches (various types)
• Hammers
-Ball peen; 8 and 32 Oz

my eyes are blurring from reading about all of these tools. I hope I didn't miss anything

Wow! Thats a good list. I have a moderate amount and am adding as I see the need. The only thing I see missing is a kiln or forge. One tool that I have gotten that really helps me out is an oscillating sander. Its hard to get into th palm swells and choils with a belt. Some will use the small wheel on their grinders but the Grizzly doesn't have one so I had to come up with something different.

Back