Grinder with cutting disks for angle grinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this fast enough?

The man has some serious skills. I would be afraid to be in the same room with him cutting that billet on that huge disc.

Natlek, as much as I would love to see your wheel, I also think it's a bad idea. Imagine for example if your knife tip or something gets stuck between the disc and the work rest and everything explodes in your face. Also I think the discs on the side would maybe be prone to chip as they would have no support on one side. Even if it can be done and grinds super fast and efficient, why would you risk you health for something that can be done in numerous different ways with appropriate tools that you already have? If you have a surplus of time build me a surface grinder and I will send you a stack of ceramic belts that will last you for the next 10 years :)

Someone beat you to it.

D5scYwt.jpg

But it does free up the angle grinder...
w9Ig2VD.jpg

It's an interesting idea, but I'm wondering why there isn't already something like a 1x6 "abrasive style" cut off wheel for something like a bench top grinder already?

The man has some serious skills. I would be afraid to be in the same room with him cutting that billet on that huge disc.

Natlek, as much as I would love to see your wheel, I also think it's a bad idea. Imagine for example if your knife tip or something gets stuck between the disc and the work rest and everything explodes in your face. Also I think the discs on the side would maybe be prone to chip as they would have no support on one side. Even if it can be done and grinds super fast and efficient, why would you risk you health for something that can be done in numerous different ways with appropriate tools that you already have? If you have a surplus of time build me a surface grinder and I will send you a stack of ceramic belts that will last you for the next 10 years :)
If he really had skills he wouldn’t have burned most of the blade when he cleaned up that hollow grind on the first grind stone after heat treating, you have to look really carefully but the whole first side is blue and he quickly flips it over and grinds the oxidation off

Why ? Do you think that it is more safe to do that with that size cut off disc mounted on angle grinder ? Think about that ..... Many Russian knife maker use that .
IF ...IF............. what if i fall with my bike ? IF is valid for any tool you have in shop , all of them can be dangerous in some moment , IF you ............:p
About surface grinder attachment , look how Russian do that .... simple , cheap , precise and will last forever and very easy to make .

I ordered disks , 13 of them ......13 is my lucky number 13 x 4= 53mm :p I decide to use little thicker disk ..300 x 4 x 30 mm. Thin one have 22.5mm hole and if this don t work that size axle would be somehow thin for real contact wheels , so 30mm is just fine for any size wheel ....

I think he is just making the same point I did -
Some things just don't deserve a debate.

Natlek, Has it occurred to you that no one seems to agree with your idea. Maybe that is a sufficient reason?
You have posted builds on really interesting and complicated machines, so this idea seems sort of silly. Why not use the big wheel belt grinder you were making from a motorcycle wheel, or make a slow speed water cooled stone wheel?

Sorry but the surface finish it will leave will not be acceptable. All the spaces between the discs will essentially leave serrated type finish on the metal.

This idea is so bad it is almost as if you are bored an just are looking for a reason for people to tell you how bad of an idea it is.

There is a standard of quality we strive for here on ShopTalk and this cobbled together cut off disc grinder is not one of them.

great idea for making a serrated blade.... not sure how you will get everything tightened up enough to run trouble free ,but have some fun with the idea..

Sorry but the surface finish it will leave will not be acceptable. All the spaces between the discs will essentially leave serrated type finish on the metal.

This idea is so bad it is almost as if you are bored an just are looking for a reason for people to tell you how bad of an idea it is.

There is a standard of quality we strive for here on ShopTalk and this cobbled together cut off disc grinder is not one of them.

Well that is what want to get......quality finish in one step . I hope that you are wrong ...........:) I count on speed of disks for fast grinding and several light pass on end to get nice surface finish .....finish like on many factory knives . I mean , fine properly spaced vertical lines something like finish with 400 grit . I don't believe that spaces between the disks would make problem , blade is constantly in motion across disks so i think that there would be no serrated type finish .
We shall see .............I'm most interested in whether it will grind much faster then with 40 grit belts ... 30m/s vs 80 m/s .
This is what i can do for now as finish with only one belt .17 inch wheel , 40grit ceramic belt , 23 m/s speed , 5mm. thick and 64 Rockwell M2 steel .After grinder , about five minutes hand rubbing with medium scotch brite on thumb .Finish is much better than on video , I have no idea why I can not record that .

Last edited:
great idea for making a serrated blade.... not sure how you will get everything tightened up enough to run trouble free ,but have some fun with the idea..
:D
Maybe it will be good for sharpening serrated edge kitchen knives ...who knows :p
I hope that thick and 4 inch dia. plates from both side and 30mm nut everything will tightened up enough to run trouble free .Something like this ?
yadNVKf.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back