1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 21 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Megatherium!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives Megatherium, Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, May 25; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Grinding Battle Rat from 6mm down to 4mm Pig Sticker. What does it take?

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by alaus, Feb 2, 2017.

1. rcb2000

rcb2000

Apr 15, 2014
    I've already got a bunch of gray, and I don't think I've ever been that pretty, bring it on! :confused:

Hard Knocks likes this.
  2. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    I can't see the pictures elof. Are they so bad they broke the internet?

rcb2000 likes this.
  3. elof_alv

elof_alv Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2009
    I'll have to get them in photobucket I guess, it's not like it can get broken any more...

I'll update the post once done

4. elof_alv

Mar 13, 2009
    Are the pics showing (previous page) and no one has any comments?

Or they're showing and there have been fatal reactions?

5. PeteyTwoPointOne

PeteyTwoPointOne Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 10, 2014
    This ^^^^

It's like looking face to face with Medusa. :eek: I alone survived to post about it because I turned my back on the monitor and looked at my screen in the reflection of a bronze shield.

I kid, I kid :p...IMO,it doesn't look as bad as I imagined. You should be able to even that out with a belt.

Or you could use some sandpaper on a strop block for a more "therapeutic" <read: time consuming> grinding session...it builds character. ;)

Hard Knocks likes this.
  6. Rat Finkenstein

Rat Finkenstein Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2005
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Success!!!! LOL.

7. elof_alv

Mar 13, 2009
    I know it can be made right...

It was posted for sale as convexed...

8. Hard Knocks

Oct 1, 2012
    Yikes. That would have been a nice blade. All set up with Armorall leather too. I'd like to give it a trip across the 2x48 and see what happens. I'll bet it would resurrect pretty well.

9. elof_alv

Mar 13, 2009
    I was considering getting it to properly convex it (by hand, that's how I roll), but the asking price was too high for what it looks now.
    Keep in mind that it was done on a bench grinder stone...

10. Hard Knocks

Oct 1, 2012
    The good news is that he didn't get above the saber grind in too many spots. I'll bet a properly ground full height convex would make it look great again. But man, no way do I have the patience to do a blade that large by hand.

11. elof_alv

Mar 13, 2009
    It wouldn't be an overnight transformation, kind of project that aids in winding down with a good drink and something to watch

skyhorse and Hard Knocks like this.
  12. evltcat

evltcat Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Yikes! :eek:
    This is what happens when you don't know what you're doing and you try it with an expensive knife!!!
    As far as rehabing it goes, I don't think I'd buy it... I'm fairly certain he destroyed the HT with the bench grinder!

Thanks Elof, my curiosity has been made nauseous ! :confused:

13. elof_alv

Mar 13, 2009
    Well, there are no visible spots of discoloration, so it is possible that HT hasn't been affected...

14. d762nato

d762nato Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Hmm! is that the famous penetrator tip there.^^^

15. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Sorta. It's MY version of it. More drawn out and pronounced than the factory version.