grinding belt type?

A newbie question. I am about to purchase a Coote grinder and was wondering what you experts would suggest as a beginning selection of belts. Type and brand? Where to purchase?

buy from popsknifesupplies.com
great service great prices.

i work with 3M 967 cubitron belts for roughing stuff out. 40 grit is awesome for heavy profiling and 80 great to start rough grinds.

use the 977 belts if youre grinder is higher speed like 3450rmp and 967 for slower 1750 rpm machines

then go to klingspor ls309Jflex belts for hollow grinding or klingspor X weight for flat grinding

should hold ya over just fine. oh yeah and klingspor x weight for handle shaping

good luck man!!

just to piggy back on, does any one have a place to get 4x 36 inch belts that are specificly for metal? all the belts i can get for the bench sander i have to use are "general" belts, they work ok but only about one knife per belt really.

thanks
-matt

Klingspor (1-800-645-5555, ask for John Williams) has all you will ever need - any size.If you have a machine that takes 103.25" X 3.75", they will make it up in about two days, no extra charge. Normal sizes go out the same day and you get it two days later. Pop's is also a great guy with a fair line of belts.

As to what belts you get ,it depends on what you are grinding and how many blades a day you will be doing.
Stacy

If I am making 1-2 knives per week, how long should I expect the belts to last. Trying to determine how many to buy at a time.

thanks for all of your help!!

If I am making 1-2 knives per week, how long should I expect the belts to last. Trying to determine how many to buy at a time.

thanks for all of your help!!

Well for me. when I grind a knife I like to use a band new belt. I maybe able to grind 3 before it stop wanting to cut. When I see that, I use that belt for handles and other thing around the shop. When you order your belts you would want to get them in 10's. Ordering 10 or more at a time will save you money from most. You can ask about it when you order. So, start out with 50's 60' 100' 120 '240' 320' 400' and see how that will do. Belts are high and you want to get a much miles as possible out of one.

Barkes:cool:
http://my.hsonline.net/wizard/knifeshop.htm

I think your belt life depends on your grind and your procedure. I had the guys tell me about the 3m cubitron and finally got a couple to try. Hollow grind I did 10 blades and also used the same belt to taper the tangs. Remember to use an old belt to grind a lead in for your grind so you won't shear the grit off at the beginning. Mike

I just bought a bunch of 4 x 36 belts from supergrit. It was the only source I could find that had them up to 600 grit.

Mike,
Can you explain about using an old belt to and not shearing off the the new grit?

Mike,
Can you explain about using an old belt to and not shearing off the the new grit?

The edge of a blade is sharp. And will tear the grit right from the belt. So when you began to grind out a blade do so first with a old belt because the grit is already worn down. Then switch out the old with the new belt and continue grinding with the new. In todays market belts are not cheap by no means. So get all you can out of them. I hope this was the answer to your question. God bless and have a great day in the shop. And Hello Mike.

Barkes:thumbup:
http://my.hsonline.net/wizard/knifeshop.htm

Back