Grinding belts and grits

JH225

Gold Member
I am getting a new 2"x72" grinder and would like to know which companies belts give you the "most bang for the buck"?

Also which grits do you use for your initial shaping? I was thinking about using 36 grit and working upwards.

These might seem like simple questions, but I am used to doing it all by hand until now.

------------------
C.O.'s-"It takes balls to work behind the walls "

I try to start with 60 grit. I use the 36 grit belts for "hogging" or roughing out. As far as belts go, I like the Norton "blue" belts. Generally, more expensive equals better when belts are concerned. They last about three times longer than the cheaper belts.

C Wilkins

Thanks for the info, keep it coming.

Magnum,

As Allen Blade would say.....Grizzly,Grizzly,Grizzly
smile.gif

------------------
C.O.'s-"It takes balls to work behind the walls "

Jailhack, I buy my belts from G.L.PEARCE ABRASIVES in PUNXATAWNEE, PA. He sells them for one third the cost of anyplace else I have found. I use a/o, but everyone else suggests other belt types. I have used these for 4 years and have no complaints at all. Never gotten a bad belt from him. Heres the number if you want to try him out- 814-938-2379 for info and 1-800-938-0021 for orders. He sells 2by 72's for $1.50 a pop and 6by48's for $2.60 a pop. Take care! Michael

------------------
"Always think of your fellow knife makers as partners in the search for the perfect blade, not as people trying to compete with you and your work!"

Hey, I just found out today this guy sells 2 by 72" cork belts for half what I've found anywhere else, $5. He even has em for a 6 by 48" sander for around $6.I'll let ya know if they're any good, ordered a couple today.

------------------
"Always think of your fellow knife makers as partners in the search for the perfect blade, not as people trying to compete with you and your work!"

If Michael's source don't work out for you, try Cabr Enterprises @ 62 McClaren Lane, Hattieville, Ark. 72063. Phone is (501)354-3581. I have been using his belts for several years. He is mostly a wood carver supplier but does handle lots of woods other than carving types also.

------------------
old pete

Back