How To Grinding woes

Way-Barney

Gold Member
Good Morning.

I needed/wanted a neck knife, and some time ago decided to try and make myself one. I wasn't at all happy with it at the time, my grinding left a lot to be desired. Anyhow, I think I am getting a bit better and still want a neck Knife so decided to have another bash at it. It has gone a lot better this time around but i have got myself into another mess, It was that bad before that now correcting it the spine has a step in it.

It hardened 80CRV2 and i don't have a surface grinder, any thoughts on correcting it or should I chuck it back on the bench for a bit.

Grind woes.jpg

grind woes2.jpg

Not much you can do to fix that at this point. The grind goes from the edge to the spine. You could remove a bunch of material from the handle and make the whole thing thinner.

so i got to ask why you would mess around that much with $10-$20 in steel ??
id start over,, it taught you something (how deep to grind each side) lesson learned
now show that you learned by not digging into 1 side more than the other..
you could distal taper the handle to "Save" this one but that is a oh shit i messed up and have to fix it instead of showing yourself you learned something
even if that was what not to do...

Thank you all for your advice and mentoring, I really appreciate it.
:thumbsup:

The problem is, I was so proud of that, until I looked at the spine, it's my best ever grinding. I am trying to grind edge upwards and I never even looked at the spine I was so mesmerized with finally getting a blade ground flat and even. Its not the money, as you say its a couple of dollars but the time I have put into it.
Unusually for me it was quite thick (4mm) to start out with. So. embarrassingly now, there was plenty left to grind it a bit flatter and its not turned out that bad. Its a knife for myself and all the drama adds a bit to the "story" of my knife in which I will take pleasure in contemplating. I wont be going mad on the scales though.

I say clean up the other side, and round the spine some with a diamond file, and then finish the knife.

It takes Many, Many knives before we start getting good.

*Idk How many, I'm still working on it.

I'm against chucking it at this stage in your development. Finish it.

And you will still get practice in Other areas like handle finishing, sheath making, etc.

I like your blade shape

Also, until I got a disk set up, I Never could get my flats nice.
I go back, and forth using Both to clean up my grinds.

Been there, done that!!! Looks like you were off to a good start though. You could always design the handle a little differently and do a paracord wrap to cover that portion of the spine up.

I would never put scales on that knife as is. I use any knife I carry or use as a business card. I see others say "it's only for me", but what if a potential customer asks to look at it? I'd hate to show a knife I wouldn't sell as an example of what I make. Either fix it or hang it on the wall as a reminder until you can. YMMV.

I would never put scales on that knife as is. I use any knife I carry or use as a business card. I see others say "it's only for me", but what if a potential customer asks to look at it? I'd hate to show a knife I wouldn't sell as an example of what I make. Either fix it or hang it on the wall as a reminder until you can. YMMV.

I had not considered that, Thank You.

I have tried to fix it, its not brilliant but acceptable I think, its hardly visible now except in the photo.

knecker fix.jpg

Thank you all for your advice and mentoring, I really appreciate it.
:thumbsup:

The problem is, I was so proud of that, until I looked at the spine, it's my best ever grinding. I am trying to grind edge upwards and I never even looked at the spine I was so mesmerized with finally getting a blade ground flat and even. Its not the money, as you say its a couple of dollars but the time I have put into it.
Unusually for me it was quite thick (4mm) to start out with. So. embarrassingly now, there was plenty left to grind it a bit flatter and its not turned out that bad. Its a knife for myself and all the drama adds a bit to the "story" of my knife in which I will take pleasure in contemplating. I wont be going mad on the scales though.
You mentioned not looking at it. I don't get to grind daily, so I often need to "find the zone" on whatever I'm grinding, especially if it's a different blade or type of grind than I have done recently. I turn down the speed and make light passes, looking closely at the result after every few passes, trying to connect the feel with what is happening. Sometimes getting dialed in takes longer on one side than the other, so I do a bit of each, switching back and forth. If I get comfortable enough I turn up the speed and get more aggressive with pressure.

I think it's his First knife he ever made, it's got sentimental value.
Plus he can practice other skills with the rest of the build.

I think you are doing a good job, I vote for finishing it

Yes that's much better, I vote for finishing it to as long as you post pics of the final result. If you can still feather it smooth I'd do that too.

I think he only means to round the blade part of the spine. I also say that you should finish it. As others said it will teach you many other things and also teach you how to correct mistakes as you go. Each knife will get better and you will see that there is always room to get better. If I threw away each knife when I have made a mistake I would have still not finished a knife until now. I am a hobbyist and a rookie compared to old timers here, so obviously I apply other standards to myself.

Back