Grinds/profiles

Hey,

I know this has to have been discussed 1000 times so if anyone know of a thread where it has been discussed feel free to point me there.

I am making a chef's knife and I would like to know what others think about what makes a good one, specifically what type of profile.

I like hollow ground blades for my hunting knives but I've heard that straight tapered or zero point profiles are better.

Thanks!

I think a flat grind is best because a hollow grind you will have a wider portion of the blade trying to go through your cut. A flat grind has a shallower angle for a longer portion of the blade and will not hang up on thick pieces. I just did a hollow grind and compared it to my flat grinding cutting rope. Cut well but got alot of drag before I got the blade all the way through the rope.

in my personal opinion and somewhat limited experience, i find that the exact grind doesn't matter too much, as long as the edge is thin and sharp.

with that said, all my kitchen knives are full flat with very thin edges, with high polish convex edge bevels.

Back