"Grip Slips" for the one piece line...

I was just banging around some thoughts about my CRK Project II and hit upon the one flaw that I can see with it....the all steel handle. I live and work in the deserts of Arizona...I am out and about every day in heat that sometimes reaches 118 degrees or higher. The sun is blinding and can heat up steel in seconds. Were I to have my Project II anywhere that the handle could be exposed to the sun for any length of time...it would burn those fine knurlings right into your palm if you gripped it solidly. So...having said that what are your opinions on some kind of covering for the handle?

I was thinking possibly a slip on thin rubber grip (much like the Hogue "handAll" for Glock pistols). They could be made with slight texturing and in many diff colors. I think it would go a long way to improving the grip...and protecting the hands from heat and extreme cold! I think Chris Reeves could call them "Grip Slips" and for those that want the fancy stuff...maybe a lace on thin sheet of leather that wraps around the handle.

I think it is a good idea....what do you guys think?

Mr. Reeves..if your reading this...I hope you think it is a good idea too and can find a way to offer these to us loyal "One-Piece" users.

Bpman

BPMAN,
It gets kinda warm here in Florida also. I have had metal knife handles become so hot that I needed gloves to pick them up. I have used several methods to prevent this problem including using electrical tape to wrap the handle, cuting a piece of bicycle innertube to length and slipping it over the handle and using thin diameter cord to wrap the handle. I have also used the liquid coating that is made to dip coat pliers handles to dip coat metal knife handles. I have not used this dip coating on CRK handles and it may not bond to the CRK finish. I would also like a CRK "factory" grip slip.
Bubba

hi guys,
i usually hang out in the other knife forum, but thought i'd register here just say... that using a piece of bike inner tube as a user friendly handle cover works a treat, however you can't have the rubber going too far down the handle (well on my sable IV anyway), as it tends to roll up.

also, once the sheath has stretched to accomodate the slight extra thickness the knife feels relatively loose in the sheath without the rubber.

still, you also have a supply of elastic bands, just cut a slice off the handle, or you can cut a slice off and use it as a fire starter.

cheers, sargey.

Back