Griptilian Hollow Handles

A very long while ago I purchased a Benchmade Griptilian. I have since used it, but for the past it has been sitting around doing noting, receiving no use. The reason for this is (in my opinion) the hollow cheep feeling handles. What my question to the people like me who dislike the stock griptilian because of its scales: did you start to feel discontent with the scales because YOU noticed that they felt hollow or did you start to feel discontent with them because SOMEONE else noted that the scales were cheep feeling. With me it is because somebody mentioned it at one time. Now, i am not trying to be a copy cat and fit in with the crowd, and this is now my opinion on the knife and not someone else's, but to me ignorance was bliss and once I was alerted to the cheep feeling I agreed with what they were saying, and I no longer appreciated the knife. I am eager to hear your thoughts.

I like my knives light, I have a mini grip and a 530. The mini grip has full liners and the 530 partial liners like the full size grip. I like both knives and I haven't had any problems with the zytel handles not being strong enough for normal use.

I have seen a few videos done by benchmade showing the knives being tested to failure and I don't believe any of the handles broke. I think the videos are on youtube if you look.

It kinda of reminds me when the Glock pistols first came to market and a lot of people felt the plastic frame design wouldn't be durable, which proved to be not the case.

REI makes 551-1401. Full size Griptilian in S30V super steel. Check it out. Once you handle it, you will never go back...

It's not as bad with the mini version, but I agree the large version feels very hollow. I never liked the large version for this reason. You can purchase custom scales but IMO this sort of defeats the value of the Griptillian line.

I owned a mini grip first. And I didn't really notice the hollow feeling. As soon as I got a large grip, I noticed the hollowness immediately and disliked it. I became hyper aware when I bought some of the Chinese axis lock style knives that had a much more solid feel. Since then I have bought many benchmades and the ones with other than plastic handles make me question the plastic griptilian handles even more. I have sold most of the plastic handles BM in favor of G10 and aluminum handled options. I have also replaced a couple of BM Griptilian handles with custom g10, micarta and carbon handles and enjoy the knives much more. The ones that haven't been swapped will be swapped eventually.

The plastic handles didn't ever stop me from using the griptilian.

My biggest problem with owning a large Grip was the scales and the "CLACK" sound. No other model does that, but getting past it the Grip is a great knife. Yet rescaling is made easy courtesy of a few guys here on the site. The Ritter version, for example, deserves better with that awesome blade.

And I thought I was the only person who felt this way.

Yes, I have owned a couple mini and normal grips and hate the cheap feel. I chose to stay with spydie simply due to that and how thick they seem in pocket

It's not as bad with the mini version, but I agree the large version feels very hollow. I never liked the large version for this reason. You can purchase custom scales but IMO this sort of defeats the value of the Griptillian line.

I agree. The Mini comes close to being a full-liner knife. There's a lot to be said for the strength and the lightweight construction of the full size Grip, but honestly I hate the sound it makes when it closes. :eek: I really like the G10 full size Grips better. :thumbup:

I will take a knife that is perceived as cheap but withstands serious abuse (like standing on it open or the benchmade stress tester) over a knife that one thinks is solid but is actually weak (see Hard use testing: Pohl Force Alpha 2 vs. Cold Steel Spartan).

A ~$200 Pohl Force Alpha 2 seems strong but broke and a Griptilian seems cheap but is strong. What matters more, perception or reality?

I have no problems with the (according to some folks) "cheap feel/sound" of the 551. The zytel handles are tough, as numerous testers have proven. They are lightweight, which is a significant benefit when backpacking. The Axis lock is one of if not the strongest lock available.

I have several G10 Grips, and while they are nice, I only use them around town - when I head for the hills, I prefer the zytel for the lightweight.

YMMV.

I don't doubt their quality or durability, but they sound hollow and slapping on replacement scales make it feel like a different class of knife.

I never cared for the factory scales on my 556 and just recently swapped them out with G10. The difference is like night and day. It added a little weight, but not enough to where the knife feels heavy, just more solid.

Yes. A friend uses lead shot, seriously. The inside of the Grip scales are honeycombed, so any weight added makes a big difference.

Back