1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gritty sabenza?

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by Mike Large, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Mike Large

Mike Large Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 24, 2017
    I try not to create a thread unless its really worth it... On my second large sabenza now and both have been a bit gritty while opening and closing. Waited a week or so before taking apart and re-lubing both. It will be good for a few open and closings but the grit has came back on both. Is this part of the 'break in' process??? My smalls havnt had this issue...

2. blanco112

blanco112 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 1, 2016
    I've had this happen on some of mine large and small and I can't think of it being anything but the grease. It'll be smooth and then get gritty and if I don't have it in my pocket a few days then it will be and stay smooth. I wonder if it's part of the process of the grease working around evenly and getting into the perforations.

3. Mike Large

Mike Large Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Does this go away with time? Like you said it will be perfect most of the time but out of nowhere it seems a bit bumpy opening and closing.. it's not overtightening or dirt??? Strange

4. kilogolf65

kilogolf65 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2015
    There's been some in other threads about gunk in the detent ball track. If you ever so slightly lift the lock bar off the blade then open/close the blade is it gritty? If not, then clean the ball track on the blade. I try to make sure there is no grease on the ball or the track.

Search for other threads on this. Good luck.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    miso2 and Mike Large like this.
  5. ti lock

ti lock

Jul 20, 2013
    take it apart... clean it up with WD40, then wipe dry.... apply fluorinated grease...

6. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016

7. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    this ones a recent upload. they use a different grease (snake oil) but the video is as well if not better.

8. Dangerously

Dangerously Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 8, 2013
    A new 21 I had felt a tiny bit gritty for a few days. I think it was the detent ball riding on the stonewash. One it polished a visible shiny groove on the blade tang, there was no gritty feeling anymore.

9. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    That's a good point. Op did you clean the blade and detent very well? I remember a thread that mentioned this could be the case and often after cutting food.

10. kidcongo

kidcongo Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 12, 2013
    In my experience, "grittiness" is always the detent track being contaminated, 100% of the time, no exceptions.

Find a wooden chopstick or pencil or something tapered to gently wedge under the lockbar to lift it off the blade. If your blade is then smooth, your grittiness is the detent ball skipping and catching on gunk on its track.

For a truly "gritty" feeling, I find orange juice residue the worst culprit.

When you break down the knife, you typically, inadvertently clean the detent track, solving the problem. This leads you to believe it was the pivot or the grease etc.

Run the knife, fully assembled, under the tap with some mild hand soap (what I do) or get more fancy and clean the detent track using more scientific means.

YMMV

Mo2 and VolGrad like this.
  11. u812

u812 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 15, 2002
    My Riddled Sebenza was very stiff and gritty when I got it. Took it apart several times to clean,tried different lubes that didn't help. Year before last I had it with me at Blade and had a guy at the CRK booth look at it,he loosened the pivot and claimed it was fixed. He had no clue how the pivot on a Sebenza worked. Chalked that one up to maybe just some guy that hired to help work the booth. A couple weeks later I took it apart lightly polished the washers with filtz,oiled and reassembled. What ever the problem was seemed to disappear after that disassembly. It is now one of the smoothest Sebies I have ever owned.

12. Korean Hog

Korean Hog Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2017
    I agree with the other guys when I first got my small sebenza 21 it wasn't gritty but I didn't see the super smooth opening everyone talked about and it seemed to have some serious thumb bruising detent. Broke it down, cleaned it, greased it, and reassembled going off of the maintenance tips on this forum. After that my small sebenza 21 was super smooth, opened and closed like a dream love it carry it everyday now.