Grivory compared to CF Elite?

Is the only benefit of CF Elite over Grivory the fact that it's stiffer, or are there other reasons for considering it (besides slight weight difference)?

As crazy as it sounds, I'm wanting to take the satin 20CV blade from my BHQ grey G10, and put it on either Grivory or CF Elite scales. The G10 is really nice, but I just feel more confident with the grippy Grivory. And I have yet to warm up to coated blades.

My first Bugout was the BHQ all-black, so I have black Grivory scales. Trying to decide if it's worth the cost/effort to get a CF Elite instead for the blade swap.

Another angle is I'm tempted to sell one or both and just build a custom from BM, so I don't have to worry about mucking anything up or voiding warranty. But CF Elite isn't an option on the builder tool, so that would have to be the GFN.

Thanks for any help!

I own a Grivory Bugout and a CF Elite SOCP Folder, and subjectively the CF Elite feels better. Slightly, and in a way I don't think I could quantify, but better.

It's not enough of a difference to push me one way or the other, but if price and other features are equal I'd take CF Elite.

I've been wondering how the CF Elite stacks up to grivory as well, I'd like to see what answers you get OP. Despite it being out for over a year I haven't seen much in the way of comparisons between the two, besides people comparing the handle flex in the bugouts.

I own a Grivory Bugout and a CF Elite SOCP Folder, and subjectively the CF Elite feels better. Slightly, and in a way I don't think I could quantify, but better.

Could it be because of the steel liners under the CF Elite on the SOCP, or is it more of the difference in texture between the two? I don't have a Bugout, but I have several Griptillians and a 530, and the grivory never bothered me on them.

Could it be because of the steel liners under the CF Elite on the SOCP, or is it more of the difference in texture between the two?

No, it's nothing to do with the flex of Grivory -- it's something in the texture and feel of the CF Elite that I like more. Grivory doesn't bother me either, and I love my Bugout.

Thanks! I think I may go ahead and order one, sounds like the difference might not be enough to be worth it, but if I’m looking to make my ideal Bugout I may as well go for it and get what I want. Maybe sell my BHQ blackout to make up some of the difference.

Personally, I think the only time one would really notice the difference in “feel” between the two is on linerless models where flex is an issue. Texturally, it’s still plastic-y. On linered models, such as the SOCP folder and Presidio 2 (having had both) I think the only trade off is weight savings over aluminum, and negligiby, G10. I personally like the feel of G10 more than the CF Elite, but the difference in weight between the aluminum Presidio 2 and the CF Elite version was enough for me to sell my aluminum version and keep the CF Elite version. I really wish I could have some G10 scales for it. Might be a future project if nobody starts making them.

Comparing the smooth parts of my mini-grip to my cf elite presidio ii, I don't feel any friction difference. Of course the presidio has great traction because of the molded pattern. By contrast, true carbon fiber , like the 940-1, has slightly higher friction than plastic. So I think the molded pattern in the bugout is the differentiating factor.

From what I read CF Elite is stiff as well as durable Grivory is not stiff.

If you want to be able to squeeze thinner unlined grips together to the point that they touch each other and enjoy tough gummy flexing then Grivory is for you. Come to think of it new cars have what is called crumple zone where the crumpling of the front of the car absorbs the shock of impact sparing the driver. In an old hard frame car without crumple zone much more crash force is transferred to the driver.

I wonder if they can define a gummy zone where the flexing handle of the knife absorbs some of the prying force before it is transferred to the quack heat treated super steel blade keeping if from snapping. Could gummy zone be a new industry standard? I must be getting better at science.

CF Elite does not flex easily from what I heard. This means the shape of the handle is much less dynamic when being squeezed, during hard use, etc.... I guess it all boils down to personal preference.

I think I would like CF Elite better.

Last edited:
From what I read CF Elite is stiff as well as durable Grivory is not stiff.

If you want to be able to squeeze thinner unlined grips together to the point that they touch each other and enjoy tough gummy flexing then Grivory is for you. Come to think of it new cars have what is called crumple zone where the crumpling of the front of the car absorbs the shock of impact sparing the driver. In an old hard frame car without crumple zone much more crash force is transferred to the driver.

I wonder if they can define a gummy zone where the flexing handle of the knife absorbs some of the prying force before it is transferred to the quack heat treated super steel blade keeping if from snapping. Could gummy zone be a new industry standard? I must be getting better at science.

CF Elite does not flex easily from what I heard. This means the shape of the handle is much less dynamic when being squeezed, during hard use, etc.... I guess it all boils down to personal preference.

I think I would like CF Elite better.

Grivory is still pretty dang stiff for a injection molded plastic. Its a 50% glass filled nylon. That being said the CF Elite is slightly stiffer....but it only comes in black.

A trade off for more vibrant colors. Will you be making some colored grivory shootout models with the glass breaker in the future?

I don't know if I am a minority but I happen to like that glass breaker a lot. I should be getting acquainted with a black (although I prefere pink or neon) CF Elite glass breaker model soon.

Last edited:
Back