Grizzly Knife grinder

I finally got around to unpacking th Grizzly model G1015 grinder I gave my self for Christmas.(he he) I must say that I am impressed with the fit, finish and operation of this unit. I had purchased Grizzly woodworking equipment (joiner) in the past and was pleased so I thought I would give this a try.

The grinder tracked well with a few minor adjustments. I did not have the problems with this some have had on this board. It has plenty of power and while I know its not a Bader or KMG...in my opinion its well worth the money.

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas....MIKE

Cool! Get to grinding! I need to order some belts myself, but i've been caught up in hamon-creation world for the past few days....

Lets see some sparks!

Mike, Congats on the new grinder!

I bought one about 4 years ago with the sole purpose of bench marking it. I think it was $275 at that time. Like you, I was increadably impressed when I unpacked it. It is a great value! I sold it on Ebay a few years later, with very little running time....it sold for nearly the original purchased price.

Have fun with you new toy!!

-Rob

Conrats Mike,
I drove up to Grizzly in Pa. and bought that grinder,a drill press, another sander, and 2 buffers. I've only made a few knives, but I found swapping out the wheel for a 10" one,makes work easier. Hollow grinding longer blades you end up against the motor with the 8" wheel. I'll keep using it, until I can afford to get that KMG.

Congratulations! Won't be long till you want something better but it isn't a bad machine as long as you can work around it's limitatations.Mine is used for hogging and starting hollow grinds, flat grinding sucks on their platen.(but thats my opinion) Belt travels too much sideways when pressure is applied(tracking),all finish grinds go to my Bader.BUT....you can turn out a decent blade if you're careful. Best of luck, you gotta start someplace.

First thing, throw away that black canvas/carbon stick on junk and get a piece of pyroceram (fireplace glass at your local glass company) and mount that on the platen. You can't get any kind of decent grind with that pad.

Very cool!! I did a lot of blades on my Grizz. Even though I have a KMG now, I still use the Grizzly to hog out stuff if needed. Heck, my VFD drive went out recently and I did about 5 blades on the old standby. :)

Back