Grizzly Quality

A friend asked me if the sander that Grizzly makes is any good. But I have never used one. Does anyone have any comments about this sander? The price alone makes me think twice about recommending it. Here is the web adress http://www.grizzlyindustrial.com/

Thanks,
Garrett

[This message has been edited by Garrett (edited 30 November 1998).]

[This message has been edited by Garrett (edited 30 November 1998).]

Garrett, I have some Grizzly eqiptment, namely a Mill/Drill and a metal lathe. They are both OK machines for the money, they are what I could afford and so far have served me well. I have a freind that has one of the "knifemaker" belt sanders and he dosent like it at all, something about the belt tensioning device dosent work well, and one of the wheels dosent have roller or ball bearings but is bronze sleeved. Thats about all I know, what exact machine is it?

------------------
www.simonichknives.com

Rob, its the "knifemaker" belt sander. On the web page they state "All ball bearing construction", so I don't know if they change that. I've been looking at the Kalamazoo sanders, the 2x72 and 2x48. Do you have any comments on these.

Thanks,
Garrett

Garrett,I am not familiar with the Kalamazoo machines. I talked to the guy today and he said he had the knifemaker machine, so they must have went to ball bearings on it. If you plan on doing quite a bit of knife work I would strongly consider a 2X72 belt size machine, such as a square wheel or Burr King or such. The machines are great and much more versitle than the Grizzly, and the belt selection is a lot better...Only thing is you start at about $900

Back