Grunt work folder

Can opener? I've got a few of those.
I retract my suggestion for delica vg-10, it won't do very well.

IMG_3802en.jpg

My Dad would use a Case pocket knife to open cans in the woods (hunting). I shuttered watching him do this, but to my knowledge he never broke to tip off of one doing that. Breaking the tip off a knife at that point in my life would have been a catastrophe. Case knives were very expensive for me on my meager allowance.

I EDC a Spyderco PM2 Blurple or a Yojimbo 2 but I use them as intended for slicing and dicing. The blade tips are not built for some of the more grunt style tasks that come up for me during the course of the day, many of which are not necessarily suited even for the many tools on my SAK Swiss Champ (that might be a stretch but I think I just want to buy another knife). I also often carry any variation of Morakniv (Companion, Companion HD, Garberg) but it's less likely I'll carry a fixed blade in business attire.

That said, what should I be considering for a utility folding knife? Perhaps half serrated? Griptilian and Mini Grip come to mind, but what else should I consider? Price from $50-$150, steel from 154cm on up.
I would recommend the cold steel Voyager clip point in either medium(if you can find it), large, or xl. I've found the new cts-bd1 to hold just as good if not a better working edge than my ganzo g27m in 440c. On Amazon you can usually pick up the xl for 60-70, 70-80 on bladehq. And the price drops the smaller you go on it. Just be sure to have some torx wrenches on hand to tighten the pivot down if you want to pound on it, it'll be fine up and down but the pivot loosens fairly quick as a result. Happy hunting!

My first thought would be any number of the Cold Steel offerings. American Lawman, Recon1,Voyager or Code4 for example.

Cold Steel is my go to beater knife brand. Reasonably priced and tough as nails. Take your pick on model.

When the AUS8 CS Voyagers were on sale I grabbed a few in various sizes, mediaum, large and XL. Better steel would be, well, better - but these bargain beaters are none the worse for wear - great value and rugged.

you're asking for either a

CS Folder with TriAd, really tough and durable construction, sturdy handles, nice but strong tip
(AK47, Recon 1, Code 4, Voyager, Rajah III, Swift) and quality steel
most of them under $100, very dependable hard-working tools and utility folders
or on the Spydie line, one that's very simiñar to the PM2 size and shape-wise, but with stronger and thicker tip, ultra tough (bendy, non-chippy) steel, ease of maintenance, and budget price. That's the Pacific Salt.

Spydiehole, top quality FRN, no liners and excellent performance SE!!!

I am a huge fan of the Salt line of knives from Spyderco, especially when I'm in or around salt water.

And then there's Morakniv. My Companion of Companion HD fit the fixed blade criteria- quality price/value ratio, durability, lightweight with a lightweight sheath (which I actually love). The tip is pretty perfect too, and Moras are easily maintained and sharpened.

Lightweight, inexpensive and durable the Companion HD is very hard to beat as a go-to beater ... assuming your situation and attire facilitate a fixed blade.

Lastly, my post would be incomplete with reference to the abundantly robust Benchmade Adamas. If you can deal with the size and weight, it's a great folder for harder uses.

Back