Grunwerg (Blumnethal) 8"Carving Knife - strange edge behaviour

Hi
Has anyone had any experience with the Grunwerg (Blumnethal) knives?
I have an 8" Carving knife (HST-07) which to my limited experience has an edge that behaves strangely.

I've only used it a few times.
I've sharpened it with an Edge Pro Apex
The problem:
a) several chips on the cutting edge after a couple of uses,
b) when sharpened produces large rolled burrs.
c) cutting edge seems 'soft' even when using the Edge Pro 1000 grit stone.

According to the manufacturer the blade is a 3-ply - central core is AUS 10 with 60 HRC and the outer clad is 420 Stainless Steel. So the cutting edge should be very hard ?!

Comments:
a) Chips - it's possible these were created when encountering bones in a roast chicken. I've never had this with other knives used to carve roast chickens but ok it's supposed to be hard steel perhaps it's pretty brittle at the same time. Don't know but the manufacture advised me to avoid bones.....never happend with ANY of my other knives though but ok I'll use this as a screamly sharp 'slicer' of flesh from now on.

b) Large burrs. Yeah, never had this before (I've sharpened upwards of 100 knives to date and this is the first time i've had this). After the chips I had to remove quite a bit of material so was using a low grit Edge Pro stone and was surprised when large rolls of metal were coming off the cutting edge.

c) Soft ? - More recently I decided to see if I could get this knife screaming sharp. Tried and failed. Just can't get it sharp!
Also, when using the 1000 grit Edge Pro stone I can feel the burr created. With every other knife I've sharpened I am unable to detect a burr on the 1000 stone. Also while I'm using the 1000 grit it feels (and looks) like I'm removing a lot of material - the steel feels soft.
Despite delicate sharpening with the 1000 grit then very gentle stropping with the 1000 grit I am unable to get and maintain a sharp edge. I get the impression that any fine edge created just crumbles.
Even after such gentle work at 1000 grit (either followed by 2000 and 3000 Edge Pro tape stropping and leather stropping, or not) I can't get this knife up to even good shaving sharp!!!
In comparison an IKEA knife (surprising good knife molybdenum&vanadium) that has seen work since I sharpened it a couple of weeks ago. still shaves all hairs off in a single sweep!!!!

What's wrong with the steel ?
The chips - is it too hard? Does super hard steel create great rolls of burr? If super hard then why so easy to remove material at 1000grit? Is it too soft ? At the moment that's where I'm at.
I'm very close to sending the knife back but wanted to see if others had had similar experience. Interestingly the knife line seems to have been discontinued !!!

hmmm...your description that the edge chips but also seems soft seems to be at odds with each other. Perhaps the steel is too soft but the very edge itself had become brittle by being overheated during the mfg. sharpening? Can you try to increase the edge angle to reduce chipping? I do get a strangely behaved edge on my 8670 blades. The steel seems to love forming a burr and looses its "bite" from sharpening quickly, however it is not chippy at all.

Back