GSM Outdoors statement about Secure-Ex Sheats

I contacted the Customer Service of GSM Outdoors about the Secure-Ex sheats dulling the edge.

This is what I got as answer: "Hello,
Thank you for contacting GSM Outdoors.

We have started to use the Secure-Ex sheath that is strong and durable. This will give you years of hard service and keep your Master Tanto at your side. These are not designed to make any blade dull when pulling it in or out. These are designed to protect the blade for years of use.

If you have any further question or concerns, please email us."

The good news is they read and answer your mails. The bad news is they don't seem aware of this problem and will leave the Secure-ex sheats as they are.

I almost typed “unbelievable” but this is completely believable and expected. I hate giant corporations. I haven’t bought a new cold steel and refuse to. Buying all the old ones I can. This is yet another example of one more nail in that coffin. Don’t blame Lynn for cashing out but I would be devastated if I spend my adult life building a amazing company only to watch a big corp giant destroy it the way they are. So sad but it will make the old steel knives stand on their own and I’m thinking they will stand quite well!!!!

Did an android or cyborg write the reply email? My favorite part is- These are not designed to make any blade dull when pulling it in or out. These are designed to protect the blade for years of use. Gee thanks :rolleyes:

They have no clue what is being sold.

Caller

“Hi, my new boat trailer that came with my boat is destroying the bottom of my boat and soon it will be unable to put in the water from the damage.”

Customer Service Response

“Hi, thank you for calling, your trailer is perfectly designed to transport your boat to and from your next boating destination while ensuring a smooth ride. Hope you enjoy our perfectly designed trailer, goodbye”

WTF!!!!!!!! The sheath dulls the dam knife????????????

Someone waaaaay funnier than me needs to come up with a better analogy than mine.

I would reply to the effect of "I would like this issue to be escalated to a senior manager. This GSM product is not performing as it was advertised, and the user experience is 100% inconsistent with what the customer service department explains..."

Even better, you may get a "how did we do?" email survey regarding your interaction with customer service. That's when i would lay down the above verbiage. Give'em a hassle. Totally deserved.

I almost typed “unbelievable” but this is completely believable and expected. I hate giant corporations. I haven’t bought a new cold steel and refuse to. Buying all the old ones I can. This is yet another example of one more nail in that coffin. Don’t blame Lynn for cashing out but I would be devastated if I spend my adult life building a amazing company only to watch a big corp giant destroy it the way they are. So sad but it will make the old steel knives stand on their own and I’m thinking they will stand quite well!!!!
I completely agree with your sentiment. At least for now a lot of the popular models are still being made in Taiwan. As I had posted about a month ago, I ordered 3 Voyagers…2 of them have the new logo on them and I was a bit disappointed. But I soon realized that at least they were most likely being made in the same factory in Taiwan, so other than the logo, everything else appeared great quality-control wise. So my advice is get it while you can because I would not be surprised at all if manufacturing is sent to you-know-where. I was thinking how cool it would have been if several big name knife companies who we all know and respect would have pooled their resources and bought out CS…to keep it true to it’s core roots. But that’s history now. I’m pretty sure most of the new “old” stock (with original logo) are almost gone now (at least the bread and butter models that made CS’s reputation). Heck, if I had the money, I would have purchased 2 of every CS knife I own, one for using and the other as a collection piece. Don’t be surprised if 2-3 yrs from now hardly anything is available… at a reasonable price.

I don't disagree with their response to you based on my experiences. My SK-5 SRK has a Secure-Ex sheath and I don't notice any dulling on the edge from drawing it out of the sheath. When drawing the knife out, I grab the handle and push my thumb against the sheath to break the friction. As the blade comes out, the spine is pushing against the sheath and riding the swedge out. If the blade was being pushed on the edge (like a draw sweeping across the body) as it exits the sheath, then any material may dull it as it is cutting into the sheath literally.

If you take the sheath apart can you see where it is touching internally? Could the two halves of the shell be out of alignment? Maybe there is a tweak which needs to be done inside the channel for which GSM would appreciate the information to improve things? Sorry for the questions. Side-effect of my job troubleshooting things all day. 😅

That is the response I would have expected from a big corporation.

The so-called dulling problem is not a problem for me. It's easy to avoid edge contact when drawing and sheathing the knife. I also touch up the edge more often than the sheath will dull the blade.

Glass reinforced plastic can be made into thinner, lighter sheaths. Would you be happy with a bulky, heavy sheath made from plastic?

I don't disagree with their response to you based on my experiences. My SK-5 SRK has a Secure-Ex sheath and I don't notice any dulling on the edge from drawing it out of the sheath. When drawing the knife out, I grab the handle and push my thumb against the sheath to break the friction. As the blade comes out, the spine is pushing against the sheath and riding the swedge out. If the blade was being pushed on the edge (like a draw sweeping across the body) as it exits the sheath, then any material may dull it as it is cutting into the sheath literally.

If you take the sheath apart can you see where it is touching internally? Could the two halves of the shell be out of alignment? Maybe there is a tweak which needs to be done inside the channel for which GSM would appreciate the information to improve things? Sorry for the questions. Side-effect of my job troubleshooting things all day. 😅
until you run into one...... none of the complaints make any sense. when you do run into one you'll get it. happened to me a few times and I got it.

the issue is the inconsistency. some work fine and no issues. I have many that are this way. others dont work at all and don't fit and hit the blade no matter how you try to do it.

I know it sounds insane, if ya got a good one.

I ordered a custom made leather sheath for my Master Tanto. Problem solved. But this answer makes me think twice before I will order another CS knife.... Custom sheats don't come cheap...
Problem is that all CS fixed blades come with Secure-Ex sheats.
And that they are not considering a re-design. "Who cares about these stupid customers? Our sheats are fine as they are.."

Last edited:
Caller

“Hi, my new boat trailer that came with my boat is destroying the bottom of my boat and soon it will be unable to put in the water from the damage.”

Customer Service Response

“Hi, thank you for calling, your trailer is perfectly designed to transport your boat to and from your next boating destination while ensuring a smooth ride. Hope you enjoy our perfectly designed trailer, goodbye”

WTF!!!!!!!! The sheath dulls the dam knife????????????

Someone waaaaay funnier than me needs to come up with a better analogy than mine.

Hymmmm
Sounds as Pissaki cleaver answer to me !?!

Back