GSO-4.7 Cru Forge V

I could almost justify one to put back for my daughter.... Although I think Ellie's favorite is her purple 4.1, isn't it? Maybe I'll just wait...

Is there a thread where order number and shipping notices are tracked, to kind of give an idea of where in production Survive is...?

Is there a thread where order number and shipping notices are tracked, to kind of give an idea of where in production Survive is...?

Nope, indeed there has been some concern that posting your order# could result in someone tampering with it, though I'm not sure how... Someone calls and impersonates you, and asks to change the delivery address? *shrug*

Anyway, keep in mind that orders are numbered as they are received, and that includes pre-orders, so order#s between you and the last shipment may not get notices before you get yours. Instead of order#, it might be of more use for folk to post order DATE so we can track delivery times more directly.

26bc9d9ed284d87029c3e9db2406a35d.jpg

Ahhhhhh more to come later! Work calls right now!

Sent from the pay phone beside 7/11!

Well some may say it's only a piece of metal but Damn what an amazing piece of metal! Got it today and the handle fits my big ole bear paws like it was made just for my hand! It's not as long or as big as I was thinking it would be and that's not a bad thing it fills like it's just the right size! Guy thank you for a great knife your work is impressive! And a thank you to Ellie for helping to answer ?'s I've had a few![emoji12]
e182a46ef8bf6a3c612e96fb244cae82.jpg

Sent from the pay phone beside the Quickie Mart!

Bigadam, there's a lot to like there. Impressive moss patch! I'll keep saying it, that FDE and black just can't be beat!

Enjoy that knife!

Bigadam, there's a lot to like there. Impressive moss patch! I'll keep saying it, that FDE and black just can't be beat!

Enjoy that knife!

Thank you Silver! It does match up real well! I'm liking it a lot!

Sent from the pay phone beside the Quickie Mart!

My CFV 4.7 in Natural Canvas arrived earlier in the week as well. No time for pictures, but I do want to add here my initial impressions regarding the ergonomics and how it compares to the old spec knives I own, particularly the GSO 4.1 and 5, the knife's closest cousins. First off, I do really like the re-designed handle, a lot. The S! knife that I have probably carried more than any other is the old spec 4.1 followed closely by the 5.1. I only recently (this year) obtained an old spec GSO 5. I have carried it some, but I have not used it as hard as the other two.

I must say that I am a fan of that ever polarizing issue, jimping. I had a jimpless 3V 4.1 that I gifted to a colleague a while back, and I love 3V. I found the jimping in the 4.7 to bite a little more than the old spec, but I did not find that it did so uncomfortably. If after some hard use with my thumb on the jimping results in hot spots, I will be surprised, but my initial impression was good. I like the thickness of the 4.7 compared to the GSO 5 and 5.1 as well. It makes the knife very light and easy to carry. I also like the beefier blades for hard thumping all day long in all of their 3V glory, but I also like to have the variety and nimbleness of thinner blades like the 4.7. My old spec 4.1 is in M390, and I have never had a problem being under knifed when tackling cutting chores suitable for a knife that size, and I have done batoning with it and have had no problems. I suspect that the 4.7 will also be as nimble in just a slightly larger package. I will say that based upon Chiral's testing, I do not expect the same performance out of this steel compared to the old spec 3V or the newer Delta heat treat.

Regarding the ergonomics of the 4.7, all I can say is superb. Keep in mind I never had any issue with the ergonomics of the old spec knives at all, and I have used them quite a lot under some pretty hard use scenarios for some extended periods. But this new 4.7 handle just fits. Everything that Chiral states in his review of this knife's ergonomics is true for me as well. Every grip I tried is just great.

Overall this knife will see quite a lot of belt time around the house on weekends where most of my cutting could likely be performed with a folder, but I occasionally do need to have a bigger blade to remove branches and saplings while gathering firewood where holding a chainsaw above the head would be too Freddy Kruger like. So far I like what I both see and feel. I am not a fan at all of coated blades, but I understand why Guy coated this one. I would have preferred to get this one in 3V, but with the S! knives already in my collection, as well as the new spec 4.1, 6 and 8 on pre-order, I felt that the price point for this CRV offering was worth pulling the trigger. I am glad I did.

So last week I found a black walnut in my yard and wanted to show my girls that under the green skin and the meat (flesh? Not sure on the correct term), there is a nut in a shell.

I wiped down the blade, but did not wash it before sheathing it and later setting in a shelf. A few days later I needed it and found a purpley, brown patina all along the edge of the blade where there was no cerakote.

It's been stormy here for the last week and a half and any time I found fallen tree limbs in my yard I chucked them in a pile. Today I wanted to turn these big branches into smaller pieces and I used my cruforge 4.7 for some wicked cross batoning action.

Wouldn't it have been easier and faster to chop or saw these branches? Well....... yes, but I just felt like using my 4.7 :D

Anyways, what I thought would be pretty serious staining or corrosion all came off with my simple wood working project. I was pleased.

On another note, I've been using my cruforge on and off since the last week of July and despite the weekly use it will still take a little hair off my arm if I get the angle right. That is, the straight edge will still take a little hair. The curved part of the edge left me with a little bald patch.

I'm still waiting for the edge to dull enough to not shave at all so I can see how she does on a strop.

I'm REALLY liking my CruV 4.7. It is a GREAT little blade. I guess it isn't so little, but is little compared to some of mine. The steel is holding up quite good. I have had to kinda steel the edge on a very smooth ceramic, but that was more to align than to sharpen. It is holding its edge quite well. Now I'm looking even MORE forward to the 3v 4.7.

Guy NAILED the ergos on this thing!

Back