Guadalupe Forge Hammer In a great success

I went to my first hammer in this past weekend. Man what a difference a weekend can make. My head is still sore from all the information. We had introductions and pleasantries and a discussion of class times at 8:00. Then everyone was off to learn new skills.
The classes ranged from forging carbon blades,and leather sheaths taught by Richard Epting, to scrimshaw taught by Linda Karst-Stone,and knife photography taught by Steve Woods and Jay moore.Many known makers were onhand to pass on their knowledge, as well as look at student knives and give feedback and valuable advice.
A highlight of the weekend was the Developing Damascus patterns,forging damascus,and the mosaic/powder damascus classes taught by Damascus pro Devin Thomas.
Harvey Dean was also able to come and give an outstanding series of design ,and handle/guard classes. We were also priveleged enought to get in a little file work ,and Nitre bluing work from Mr. Dean as well.
Lastly but certainly not least, the man who hosted the event was Mr. Johnny Stout, whose hollow grinding, bolster fitting and marketing classes, gave some idea of how Stout knives have come to be what they are.
Truly enough good cannot be said about the hammer in,or the people who made it possible. Thanks go to the staff,Mrs. Stout and all those who made sure we had plenty of good food to eat,you know how knife makers can get when hungry..Kudos to all those involved,if i have forgotten any names it is due to the lack of room in my brain at the time of this post.
Years of experience and a true devotion to the art of knifemaking, made for not only an extremely educational hammer in..but a darn good time as well. For this all involved have my sincere thanks and admiration..
Now im off to make some knives!

Wow! that Trumps any hammer-ins I've been to...:eek:

Love it when knife folks get together...sounds like a great time.

Excellent!! Sounds like you guys had a great time! :) Barring any unforeseen circumstances, I'm planning to make the trek down to Texas from Tennessee for the Fall Hammer-in, I'm already looking forward to it! :D

-Darren

Tennesseeans are welcome in Texas. We learned so much..but i have my platen and workrest at the machine shop:( but when i get them on ?Friday..look out ill be a grinding machine..

Back