Guard shoulder milling

Im new to the milling machine. I milled the shoulders on a forged hunter last night (first time I used it). I used my file guide in the vise but with the short ricasso and distal taper, it was not flat so I eyeballed it close. But not close enough I can tell its slightly off. Those of you who mill the guard shoulder do you use a file guide or some kind of fixture?

have not milled in a tang for a whiel cause i have changed my builds but when i did i lovked the knife inthe vice on parallels point to the left i woudl then start inon the part of the tang away from me. (this avoids climb milling ) mill part of the tang up to the point you want the recoso to meet the guard. stop and lock the X feed of the table them mill using the Y mill out of the tang past the spine of the blade. you can then lift the cutter out of the work piece and using only the Y cross the cutter to the front of the blade. lower cutter into working zone and using the Y start cutting on the recoso till you get to the depth of tang that you want. now and only now use the X to feed alont the tang away from the blade.
hot tip works best when you lock out any feed not in use and best to get it close on first pass then go back to step one and take a light clean up cut

Thanks! I didn't lock anything this time but I will next time. I will hopefully get the guard fitted tonight.

Back