Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Jack Black

Seize the Lambsfoot! Seize the Day!
Platinum Member
OK folks, it had to happen - There's a new cult in town!! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

This thread is dedicated to the appreciation of this quintessential English pattern, and for those who appreciate its subtle lines, its usefulness, and its history. All Lambsfoot posts and pics are welcome here :thumbsup:

Update: 8th July 2019

If you haven't already read the site rules , and the sub-forum guidelines, please do so :thumbsup:

I started this thread to try and educate members here about the Lambsfoot pattern, and as a place where those of us who have come to appreciate this uniquely versatile blade, can discuss its history and its usefulness, show off our knives, and otherwise appreciate its beauty. I never expected that this thread would grow in the way that it has, thanks in no small part to a great bunch of intelligent, insightful, and friendly regular posters, nor that the Lambsfoot pattern, long neglected on the US side of The Pond, would gain such popularity.

This thread is for LAMBSFOOT knives only, please don’t gratuitously post photos containing other patterns. In a few cases, it may be acceptable to post a photo of another knife for discussion purposes in relation to the Lambsfoot pattern, a fake for example, or one with a very similar blade shape, but please do not post Sheepsfoot pics here, for example, simply because you don’t know the difference between that pattern and a Lambsfoot (just read on and learn the difference). Similarly, don’t post photos containing other knives simply because you cannot be bothered to edit an old photo. If you do make a mistake and post an inappropriate photo here, when this is drawn to your attention (as it will), behave in a mature way, accept that it's you who has erred, not the poster having to bring it to your attention.

We have enjoyed some wide-ranging off-topic discussion here, but the Lambsfoot has to remain the focus of this thread, so please try and bear that in mind. If you want to have an extended discussion about an off-topic issue, take it to Carl’s Lounge. As with the rest of The Porch, political and religious discussion is off limits here, if you want to rail against some group or government, please do it elsewhere.

The Porch was set up for the purpose of non-commercial discussion about traditional knives - to talk about KNIVES, not the BUYING OF KNIVES. As per the sub-forum guidelines, please keep questions about buying and selling out of this thread. If you see a knife you like the look of, and would like to purchase something similar, please contact the owner privately to ask about where they bought it, rather than in this thread.

You will see many photos here, which are not standard production Lambsfoot knives, some of them are custom knives, others are SFOs (Special Factory Orders), which I commissioned, to my design, and had made for the Guardians a few years ago. Unfortunately, I am not currently able to commission anymore SFOs.

As per the sub-forum guidelines please be polite, and respectful of others, in terms of your posts. You will find a great community here, who will welcome you with open arms, but if you're the sort of individual who is not happy unless they're being unpleasant to others, who likes picking arguments for no reason, or who goes out of their way to be rude, you are not welcome here. Please don't call other people names, and bear in mind that some posters browse this thread with younger members of their family, so don't use profanities or include adult content in your posts. In short, be nice.

If you ever get time, I think you will find reading through this thread to be a fascinating and rewarding experience. To make things easier though, WhittlinAway WhittlinAway and a steadfast team of volunteers, have created a thread index, and while it is currently incomplete, it should help you find answers to any questions you might have about the Lambsfoot pattern.

There is also a Guardians world map showing the international tentacles of Guardianship. If you would like to be added, please contact @btb01 with your whereabouts.

I run a Lambsfoot email list for the regular posters in this thread, on which I send out a few emails per year. If you post here regularly, and would like to be added, please contact me with your email address.

If you are a new poster, and are wondering how to post photos here, you will find good advice in the Technical Forum, this is not the place to practice (you can practice posting pics here) :thumbsup:

If you want to add the Guardians banner to your signature line, you can get the image code by right-clicking on this image:

Guardians Signature.jpg

Welcome to the Guardians of the Lambsfoot thread

Jack

Last edited:
Excellent idea Jack.

43aBWtO.jpg

This thread - https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/the-silence-of-the-lambsfoot.1069771/ - is a few years old now, and many of the images it once contained are no longer hosted. Those interested in the Lambsfoot pattern may still find some useful information and discussion in it though. Thanks to those who have helped to keep it going over the years, especially Charlie Waynorth :thumbup:

Last edited:
Image code if you'd like to add the cult to your sig line (and please feel free to do a better job) :thumbsup:

Guardians of The Lambsfoot.jpg

Edit - Please see Post 20 - Thanks again Jake :thumbsup:

Edit 2 - And post 41 :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Here's an old Sheffield Lambsfoot by Alfred Blackwell. Alfred was the son of Joseph Blackwell, who was himself the son of a spring-knife cutler (also Joseph), and making knives in Radford Street, Sheffield from 1833. In 1861, Joseph Blackwell & Sons employed four men and three boys. The sons were Alfred (who was born in 1834) and Henry. By 1868, the firm was working from Liberty Works on Edward Street. As Joseph grew older, the reigns of the firm were increasingly taken over by Alfred, and by 1881 Joseph had retired (dying at Stannington in 1884). Alfred continued to trade in Holly Street.

Alfred Blackwell 7-1S.jpg

Alfred Blackwell 8-4.jpg

This old knife has clearly seen lots of use, and it looked like it had been run over when I found it in a local flea-market. It still takes a razor-edge though, and has great W & T, as well s great character I think :)

Last edited:
I know the wooden one is good because I received it from an impeccable source. I think the black one could stand more sway in its back.

I know you're a long-term aficionado SP :) :thumbsup:

Cheers Jack. It's a REAL nailbreaker. Great pic yourself, is that the rams horn one I've seen you post in the past?

I can imagine Donn, I do like those strong pulls though, they remind me of when I was a lad! :D Thank you, that one is actually a special grade of buffalo horn, a short run by Arthur Wright & Son, the background is one of the leftover steel sheets after the blades have been punched out by the 50-ton antique press :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Here are my four Arthur Wright Lambsfoot knives, in respectively, ebony, buffalo horn, ox horn, and sambar stag.

There great those Jack. That buffalo horn is unusual, I always thought buffalo was darker. scrteened porch's post reminded me that the TEW website offer buffalo horn knives including Lambsfoot.

Reactions: JM2
There great those Jack. That buffalo horn is unusual, I always thought buffalo was darker. scrteened porch's post reminded me that the TEW website offer buffalo horn knives including Lambsfoot.

Thanks Donn :) Yes, it's usually nearly black, with just a bit of colour, but I was very pleased to be able to find one like this. The pile side is also pretty good I think :thumbsup:

AW SB Lambsfoot 17-6.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like this old 4" Lambsfoot has seen some rough use :( It was made by John Milner & Co of Sheffield. John Milner started off in the trade around 1800, aged nine or ten. He set up on his own about 1830, employing his son, and three apprentice hafters. In his day, John Milner was said to be the best spring-knife cutler in the town, the inventor of the lock-knife, and possibly of the fly-open knife (or switchblade). After his death in 1863, his son (also John) continued the firm until his own death in 1890. After that, Milner & Co continued until 1946, when it became a limited company. It had ceased trading by the end of the 1960's.

Milner Lambsfoot 2-1.jpg

Milner Lambsfoot 2-2.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Greg :) That is a beautiful knife, and I'm very pleased to hear you're getting along with it my friend :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Nice idea for a topic. I've been looking for a good example of the lambsfoot.

Image code if you'd like to add the cult to your sig line (and please feel free to do a better job) :thumbup:

Using the noparse tag will display the code instead of the photo (so that others can cut and paste).

[URL=http://s1316.photobucket.com/user/jack-black1/media/jack-black1017/Guardians%20of%20The%20Lambsfoot%203_zpsavgilsyz.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1316.photobucket.com/albums/t610/jack-black1/jack-black1017/Guardians%20of%20The%20Lambsfoot%203_zpsavgilsyz.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Back