Guess I've been in the wrong place for the past six months! <--- original thread?

I just read the post for "the Official SURVIVOR! list and sign up thread". I didn't realize this was such an exclusive place. I've enjoyed my visits, but I haven't created an original and valuable thread. (I don't think this one would count) I guess some folks belong on the exclusive side of the red velvet ropes and others do not. In a million years, I never thought I'd find that kind of class structure on a knife forum. Maybe nobody noticed that the views to replies ratio is about 50 to 1. Maybe I'm just feeling a little sensitive today or maybe I'm feeling a little douche-like for my enthusiasm and purchases of Survive! Knives. No big deal, but I did find it worthy of a response from those of us who just like knives and like to read the posts.

It's just as well that I lack the qualifications. Like Groucho Marx said: "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."

I was unaware that a simple fan club would get people's hackles up. The Survivor! thing is just something fun to get people posting and it is working. It does not cost anything or actually get you anything special. And no, I do not think your post is very valuable. Nothing saying you cannot try again. :thumbup:

Ok, I'm going to apologize. I'm in no way trying to alienate anyone. My intent is to make the option for something extra for those who enjoy being active and want to flaunt their support of the SURVIVE! company.

Casual readers and lurkers are 100% welcome to browse threads and silently learn some stuff. I did this myself for over a year in another subforum before ever thinking that I had anything valuable to add.

The whole SURVIVOR! thing is meant to give some incentive to getting involved and talking about knives. I'd love nothing more than to see more activity in this subforum. If I'm wrong in my method of trying to do this and the majority see it as a negative thing then I'd be happy to end it.

EDIT: To be more clear, I was going off of responses in this thread:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1269856-Official-Fan-Club-Anyone

I didn't sense any opposition here and since the thread had been around awhile, I was acting under the impression I was doing something that was wanted.

EDIT 2: Sorry, this is eating at me...

A reason behind the requirements is also to prevent someone from stopping in, requesting a number, then disappearing forever.

I'd really like to build the sense of community around here and if people have more reason to contribute, I'd hope they continue to stick around and be active.

Last edited:
I don't believe you need apologize for anything Silver Needle. You once invited me to check out Survive! on facebook, but that's not a medium I participate in and I would not expect to receive any of the perks that facebook followers get (if any, I don't know how it works over there).

Grusty, why not stick around, post up a pic of your blade/blades (in a new thread). I'd love to see what knives you've got and I'm pretty sure such a thread would be considered valuable :thumbup:

I don't believe you need apologize for anything Silver Needle. You once invited me to check out Survive! on facebook, but that's not a medium I participate in and I would not expect to receive any of the perks that facebook followers get (if any, I don't know how it works over there).

Grusty, why not stick around, post up a pic of your blade/blades (in a new thread). I'd love to see what knives you've got and I'm pretty sure such a thread would be considered valuable :thumbup:

Agreed - I've been on this sub-forum mostly reading and lightly posting for a while now and I haven't seen anything that would indicate exclusivity - rather its enthusiasm. People wanted to start a fan club or membership thing or whatever. They put a thread out to gauge interest. People replied positively. They started a roster of people who wanted to be involved and associated with a great American company. No dues, no exclusions list. Just some basic requirements to show you're actually interested. No one said you can't post in the forum if you're not a SURVIVOR!. Don't see any issues here or needs to make amends.

...I'm in no way trying to alienate anyone. My intent is to make the option for something extra for those who enjoy being active and want to flaunt their support of the SURVIVE! company.

...I'd really like to build the sense of community around here and if people have more reason to contribute, I'd hope they continue to stick around and be active.

This is exactly why you DON'T have to apologize Silver Needle. I wear my Kabar Krew number with pride simply because I love Kabar knives. I'm also waiting on my BeckerHead number as well. These numbers Grusty, don't make me more important than anyone else in here or any other forum, they're just a badge of respect for those knives and their makers and our devotion to them. Dang, I've only been in here for the last 5 or so hours plus I've checked out Guys repertoire online and WOW! I want some of these S!Knives! They look so cool! I'm seriously at a loss as to how I haven't seen them before!
"Knock knock, hey guys I'm Springy from over at the Becker forum. What's going on in here?"
"SURVIVE! Knives.."
"Wow! How cool! I think I might pull up a chair if that's OK?"

This is exactly why you DON'T have to apologize Silver Needle. I wear my Kabar Krew number with pride simply because I love Kabar knives. I'm also waiting on my BeckerHead number as well. These numbers Grusty, don't make me more important than anyone else in here or any other forum, they're just a badge of respect for those knives and their makers and our devotion to them. Dang, I've only been in here for the last 5 or so hours plus I've checked out Guys repertoire online and WOW! I want some of these S!Knives! They look so cool! I'm seriously at a loss as to how I haven't seen them before!
"Knock knock, hey guys I'm Springy from over at the Becker forum. What's going on in here?"
"SURVIVE! Knives.."
"Wow! How cool! I think I might pull up a chair if that's OK?"

Springy! I love this guy. And well said.

Come hang out with us!

OP is being too sensitive.

It's totally optional whether or not you wanna sign up to have a little fun on the forums.
It's not a class structure. There are no benefits of membership beyond one's personal amusement.

It's totally not a big deal OP, so sleep on it and come back tomorrow and see if you're still feeling offended.

C'mon Rasco, I know you wanna be one of the cool kids. Membership has it's privileges. :D
Or something like that.

Thanks folks! Yes I'll definitely be hanging out in here fo' sho'! This place and you guys are really cool! This morning when I got home from work I told my wife that I NEED to buy some of Guy and Ellies beautiful blades. I told her I want the 7/7, the 4.1 and the Necker II. She then says yes that's fine but "..I really need to get a car first darling. Mines just about to die".
"I know love, but it is IMPERATIVE that I get these knives ASAP because if I don't, I may not SURVIVE!".

Oh gawd. That was so bad. Sorry

:D

Last edited:
Funny! I am pretty sure the next model up for production is the 5.1. They sold the best on the starter. Most will be accounted for already, but Guy said they would make more than were ordered in the starter. So save your funds and be ready to click buy at the drop of a hat, because they will go faster than fart through linen shorts

Thanks folks! Yes I'll definitely be hanging out in here fo' sho'! This place and you guys are really cool! This morning when I got home from work I told my wife that I NEED to buy some of Guy and Ellies beautiful blades. I told her I want the 7/7, the 4.1 and the Necker II. She then says yes that's fine but "..I really need to get a car first darling. Mines just about to die".
"I know love, but it is IMPERATIVE that I get these knives ASAP because if I don't, I may not SURVIVE!".

Oh gawd. That was so bad. Sorry

:D

Funny! I am pretty sure the next model up for production is the 5.1. They sold the best on the starter. Most will be accounted for already, but Guy said they would make more than were ordered in the starter. So save your funds and be ready to click buy at the drop of a hat, because they will go faster than fart through linen shorts

Good luck, Springy! I once heard a guy refer to his wife as the minister of finance and I thought that was hilarious. Mine seems to think that "bills" and "groceries" are more important than knives...... Since my starter purchases and buying some ridiculously discounted factory seconds I've been grounded.

Riz knows his stuff and I'll add that there are some models available on the website but not the models you specifically mentioned. Also check out the exchange here. I wouldn't bother with eeeeeeeeeeeeebay unless you want to pay $500 for a used knife.

Back