Guidance on this Arete and a few general questions

I am relatively new to the forums and this is my first post. ...I am a diehard lurker though!

The crux of my questions concern the Arete posted here:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/952463-FiddleBack-Arete-w-Custom-RainWalker-Leather

IMG_2548.jpg

If one looks at the last picture it seems the handle width is much wider up near the ricasso than in the specs and images Talfuchre posted in his Fiddleback Arete- First Impressions post here .

The reason I ask it two fold. 1st, I am quite interested in the Arete, as I like O-1, Scandi grinds, and blades just shy of 4 inches! The only concern I have is I tend to like a little less width up front for when I change my grip or choke up. Talfuchre, I believe you even mentioned to Dogwood Dan that you preferred less width up front as well in the What would you like in a hiking back packing knife post.

I have few images to go on, so any clarity one can provide on whether the width is now different (design change), or a little artistic license was exhibited by Andy in this Arete's case, or whether I am crazy!

I find the width in the scales up near the ricasso on Dan Koster's Bushcraft (a knife compared side by side in the first impressions post) to be a little to thick and I have sanded them down a bit.

My personal preference would be exactly like the sketch in the first impressions post above (.650) IIRC.

Something in between the Bushcraft Northwest Celilo, located here, and the perceived width in the first photo listed above.

Anyway, I am inclined to purchase this knife even though I prefer a little lighter colored scales, but wanted some input from the experts on this forum.

The pickings on Aretes is rather slim it seems (hint)! :)

Thanks Andy for a great line of knives!

-Woody

Last edited:
That one got carved with a different handle shape than the original drawing. You will likely not like it if you're looking for one that tapers toward the blade. There are two Arete's in the Blade Show batch.

I think that one would be AWESOME if you are a hammer grip type of person. If you like the feel of a Bark River knife, for instance, you will love this style of handle.

I choke up a LOT for smaller work - which is not what all people do. I prefer that in a bushcraft knife - but not all people do.

Remember though - to modify this handle wouldn't take much but patience and some shaping tools. I have done this to many Bark River's and a few Kosters.

However, you could just buy the one in the 'batch of 5' post above. It is HOT - and won't last long.

TF

Thanks Andy and Talfuchre! That clarifies it. ...My vision is bad, but I am glad to know it is not too bad!

Talfuchre, thanks for clueing me in to the batch of 5 Arete! That one is more up my alley. I replied that I would take it. I am relatively new to bushcrafting and I have two bushcraft knives (soon to be three). My first was a Bark River Aurora w/ Maroon Linen micarta scales, My second was a Koster Bushcraft with natural canvas micarta scales. It seems this Arete is the best of both figuratively and literally. None of the potential drawbacks. It is O-1 (easier to sharpen in the field than 3V); It is a scandi grind (easier to field maintain with common materials than a convex grind IMHO). I am delighted!

I thank you again for calling out the "Batch of Five" post. I figured it was after late in the day and no knives were coming up for sale this Friday!

Much to Learn I have. I would assume the sheath will be a standard fold over (JRE type). What do you charge for a custom one for the Arete? It seems only natural that the designer of the Knife should also work his Jedi magic on a sheath as well. ;-). Of course that is up to you.

Sincerely,

Woody

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Woody - PM me bro. Talk to Andy about his sheath first - get the knife - and we can work something out. I don't need your knife as I have a few Arete's.

TF

Thanks Andy and Talfuchre! That clarifies it. ...My vision is bad, but I am glad to know it is not too bad!

Talfuchre, thanks for clueing me in to the batch of 5 Arete! That one is more up my alley. I replied that I would take it. I am relatively new to bushcrafting and I have two bushcraft knives (soon to be three). My first was a Bark River Aurora w/ Maroon Linen micarta scales, My second was a Koster Bushcraft with natural canvas micarta scales. It seems this Arete is the best of both figuratively and literally. None of the potential drawbacks. It is O-1 (easier to sharpen in the field than 3V); It is a scandi grind (easier to field maintain with common materials than a convex grind IMHO). I am delighted!

I thank you again for calling out the "Batch of Five" post. I figured it was after late in the day and no knives were coming up for sale this Friday!

Much to Learn I have. I would assume the sheath will be a standard fold over (JRE type). What do you charge for a custom one for the Arete? It seems only natural that the designer of the Knife should also work his Jedi magic on a sheath as well. ;-). Of course that is up to you.

Sincerely,

Woody

Thanks again.

Hey Woody. The sheath included is a Heber sheath. They are NICE! I don't do JRE anymore.

Agreed - why not get the knife - try out the package and if you still want one of mine - then contact me. There is NO reason to replace good leather - Heber does good leather - this is more of a preference thing.

It is up to you.

Check this thread - these are the sheaths Andy is talking about. Good thickness - good deep pocket.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/949351-Custom-Hunter-and-Woodsman-sheath-WIP

It terms of 'durability' and 'serviceability' - Heber's stuff will last just as long and work just as well - it comes down to looks, and the belt carry at this point.

Another thing I have found - selling a sheath is not that difficult - so trying one out for a while is little cost.

TF

Last edited:
Based on the links and comments the Heber sheaths look like quality stuff. ...Even more excited to get my Arete now!!

Regards,

-Woody

Agreed - why not get the knife - try out the package and if you still want one of mine - then contact me. There is NO reason to replace good leather - Heber does good leather - this is more of a preference thing.

It is up to you.

Check this thread - these are the sheaths Andy is talking about. Good thickness - good deep pocket.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/949351-Custom-Hunter-and-Woodsman-sheath-WIP

It terms of 'durability' and 'serviceability' - Heber's stuff will last just as long and work just as well - it comes down to looks, and the belt carry at this point.

Another thing I have found - selling a sheath is not that difficult - so trying one out for a while is little cost.

TF

One thing I have always loved about the knife community is the classy things I see folks do for others on these forums. For TF to promote another sheathmaker like this is really outstanding. Nice job TF.

Andy,

I learned much of this from you. You have allowed many people to use much of the same styling, tooling, and designs that are very similar to you - AND give them space on your board to hawk their wares. You have done nothing but grow - in turn - I learned the paradox that 'to give is to get'.

TF

TF, thanks for the compliments! :) You make some dang good sheaths too.

Brother - the paradox of life (or this part of it) is this:

1) To give is to get.

then

2) The real gift is to have someone to give to.

TF

Back