Guitar WIP

Well, it's not quite finished, but almost. The action needs to be lowered, the frets leveled and re-crowned, and the nut and saddle polished. But, I have it strung and have played it some. It sounds pretty good, and the extra space between strings makes it so much easier to play cleanly. I'm surprised fingerstyle players aren't clamoring for guitars like this. Maybe they just don't know what they're missing...

Here's the last of the in process pics. Once it's totally done, I'll do some "glamour shots" of it, showing the good sides, and hiding the many mistakes. :D

gwip-270.jpg

gwip-271.jpg

gwip-272.jpg

gwip-273.jpg

gwip-274.jpg

gwip-275.jpg

gwip-276.jpg

gwip-277.jpg

Lovely work Philip:thumbup:

Have you seen the Red Violin? What finish did you use?

Fred

Lovely work Philip:thumbup:

Have you seen the Red Violin? What finish did you use?

Fred

Thanks!

Nope, haven't seen the Red Violin.

I used nitrocellulose spraying lacquer. I'm thinking of trying French polish on my next one.

Last edited:
You are getting close now.

It's actually finished, I just haven't taken the time to photograph it. I think I'll go do that now.

I need to record a sound clip of it too.... I should find someone who can play well to do that.

First, to recap the materials:

The nut is white corian, the saddle is white linen micarta.

The bridge and bridge pins are ebony. The fingerboard is black walnut stained black.

The soundboard is probably spruce, and came from an old piano.

The back and sides are osage orange, and the binding is walnut.

The neck is curly maple, with osage orange headstock veneer.

gwip-278.jpg

gwip-279.jpg

gwip-280.jpg

gwip-281.jpg

gwip-282.jpg

gwip-283.jpg

Just thought I'd share some pics of my third guitar. The top is Western Red Cedar, from Menards, and the back and sides are curly hard maple. The bindings are black walnut. The fingerboard is ebony, and the neck is curly maple.

cwip-99.jpg

cwip-100.jpg

cwip-101.jpg

cwip-102.jpg

cwip-103.jpg

cwip-104.jpg

cwip-105.jpg

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I decided to convert the guitar I built in this thread from a 6 string into a 12 string, and wanted to share the results.

I had to make a new neck for it, but other than drilling 6 more holes in the bridge (which was plenty wide enough), no other changes were needed.

12string-1.jpg

12string-2.jpg

12string-3.jpg

12string-4.jpg

12string-5.jpg

I used osage orange for the new fingerboard. Because of that and the osage orange back and sides, I call it my "blonde guitar". Just as good as any other guitar, you just have to talk to it kind of slow.... :D

Back