Gulo Gulo

John Cahoon

JWC Custom Knives
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Gulo Gulo, The glutton (wolverine). Model 1 with upswept or persian style tip. The knife is 9.5" overall, 2" tall and about 5" cutting edge in .204" 5160 at RC59. The big dipper on the right side was formed by using a small drill bit to tap shallow holes, which were then filled with dyed epoxy, applied with a bobby pin, and allowed to settle in a dome shape. The Bocote scales go really well with the theme, I think, like flowing hair accented with copper pins. The blade is hand sanded to 600 grit and scales are finished to 600 grit with Danish oil.

18-11-1.JPG 18-11-2.JPG 18-11-3.JPG

I'll have finished pictures of Model 2 with more of a bullnose tip tomorrow but here's a quick preview. Same basic dimensions with Mesquite over oak liners and stainless pins. Sheaths are lined with a fine felt-like material.
IMG_1200.JPG

Feel free to comment, critique(especially) or ask any questions.

Here are the finished photos of Model 2 I mentioned yesterday. These are basically the same dimensions as Model 1 with a different treatment of the tip. Mesquite over oak liners. As always please feel free to comment, critique(especially) or ask any questions.

18-8 1.JPG 18-8 2.JPG 18-8 3.JPG 18-8 4.JPG 18-8 5.JPG

Back