gummed up, literally

edb

I have a Spyderco mini-dyad that I've carried for years. Apparently, I put a piece of gum in my pocket, didn't take it out before washing that pair of jeans (and the gum staying in the pocket, but the wrapper came off). The next time I wore those jeans, I put my dyad in that pocket all day, and when I took it out, I found gum embedded into the hinge points.

Scraping has taken most of it off, but there's still a lot of crap in there.

Any suggestions? I've thought of putting it in the dishwasher, but wonder if that could just make things worse. I have goof off, and some other stuff for removing things, but I don't want to mess up the FRN handles...:confused:

attachment.php

I would try WD-40, which should loosen most or all of it. If there's still some that's worked its way down into the pivot that you can't get out/off, try soaking the knife in mineral spirits or similar solvent. Fortunately FRN is very resistant to chemicals so won't be harmed.

Put it in the freezer overnight, the gum will harden and turn very brittle. Then, while it is still cold, open the knife several times, the gum should shatter and come out of the knife.

Put it in the freezer overnight, the gum will harden and turn very brittle. Then, while it is still cold, open the knife several times, the gum should shatter and come out of the knife.

I'd try this first... and let us know how it works!

I know fresh squeezed lemon juice will dissolve or break-up dried on cheese, maybe it would work on gum as well.

Mike

I'd freeze off what I could and then use eucalyptus oil which removes all sorts of gums, but try a bit on the scales first.
Greg

Back