Gun Hoarding...Why

I was going to say something, but after reading the last few posts I forget what I was going to say!

It'll come back sometime.

What is this? 10 pages in 3 days?!? This must be some kinda record! Cabbitt, you da man!! :D

BTW, good luck in gun search!

Let's talk about Khukuris for example. After several years of trying this, that , and the other khuks, I found one that spoke, nay, it sang to me when I touched it. It was a 16.5" WWII with horn handle by Bura. It felt like it had a spirit inside it that was predestined for me.

Later, wanting to have a spare should something ever happen to it, I grabbed a second 16.5" WWII. It arrived, and turned out to have been made by Sher. It seemed identical to the eye, but there was a difference. It was perceptively heavier and more pondorous. If you blindfolded me and swapped them around, I could tell instantly if I had ahold of the Bura or the Sher.

Sometime later another 16.5" WWII by Bura was put up as a blem due to handle cracking. I snatched it up, and it, after fixing the crack, felt just like the first Bura. So now I had the original Bura, and it's identical twin. Oh yes, let's not forget the Sher, which was a quite good blade in and of itself. It just didn't have the magic in it for me.

Even later a third Bura 16.5" WWII with a more severely cracked handle came up as a blem, I had money in my pocket at the time, and now I have triplets by Bura. Except that this one hasn't yet had the handle polished out after plugging and sanding down the crack.

That leaves me with three Bura 16.5" WWII's, and one Sher that looks just like the others but feels like an AK when I pick it up. Am I looney tunes for having three + one?

A corrollary of Murphy's law states that " One is none, two is one, and three is two - sometimes! "

So if Bura should ever have another stroke, I've got my khuk. If something should ever happen to it ( it isn't worth my life ) I have a backup. If worse comes to worst and I lose both of them, I have a tertiary back up. And if I need to present one as a gift, I can use the Sher, as most folks are taller and stronger than me. That's why munk keeps telling people to get the 18" WWII ( and yes, I have both a Bura and a Sher WWII in the 18" length ).

Back to gun hoarding, I have several guns each in 380, 38 Special, and 357. Much like the WWII's they overlap each other to an extent. Now does that begin to make sense? Most of mine are blued, and out of production. To me, stainless steel is souless steel. Rubber grips are an abomination, and walnut or other wood is de riguer to me. What I have could probably not be replaced as they aren't made anymore, and if they are, are not made to the same standards as the older guns.

OK, that's my last shot at trying to explain. I'm lighting up some incense for those who asked. If you don't get it now, you either ain't gonna get it or it'll take some larnin' for ya to do.

To me, stainless steel is souless steel. Rubber grips are an abomination, and walnut or other wood is de riguer to me.

Not to get off topic, but I couldn't agree with you more on this Rusty. Why oh why doesn't S&W make blued guns with real grips anymore? Don't people have taste and an appreciation for fine craftsmanship anymore? I'm not old enough to remember when the good guns were made, but I've seen them and even though they're older I prefer them to the new style.

Yvsa said:
X-Head, you need to settle down and go back and read some of the regular guys here posts to Cabbit. He asked a question that deserves an honest non-flamable answer. Most of the rest of us have tried to do just that. Chill out man.:rolleyes:

Yvsa, you know I've had nothing but (much earned) respect for you since day one, and perhaps you're right that I need to chill. But this was not the innocent question of a newby, let alone on topic. Let me remind you that this guy has personally insulted everyone here who he classifies as having too many "clips" by equating them with certified psychopaths who are a danger to society. Now maybe that doesn't include you and therefore doesn't bother you but I think you would understand how it would be offensive to others.

I am not the one who started this mess. I have never implied a connection between any demographic on these forums and the mentally disturbed. But this is exactly what Cabbit just did. Now I'm not telling anyone else how they should respond to this guy, but if this guy's free to ask such an ignorant, biased and loaded question, then he's certainly entitled himself to my ignorant, biased and loaded answer. He says he has all day, and he really wants to know what we think about this, so I'm trying to tell him.

I'm SURE my replies to Cabbit have been harsher than some of the more civil HI forumites are comfortable with, but I'm not going to just smile, wink my eye and joke it away. He asked a loaded question about the relationship between gun magazine owners and psycho killers on a forum about knives, managed to underhandedly insult God knows how many here, and what do I find after reading 3 pages into it but that a large number of the "regular guys" here have given him a free pass! We wouldn't have needed 10 pages of this and I wouldn't have needed to post anything at all if someone had knocked this one out of the park early on. A few good points were made here and there but by and large this guy was getting a free pass. Not from me. I'm not trying to win a popularity contest here, I don't give a rat's *** about being Cabbit's best friend and I'm not afraid to be confrontational when I think it's warranted.

That's me, chilling.

Yup, I can hear the fridge's compressor starting to whine.

Some of us are like crows and like lots and lots of shiny things. We can't have just one if it gives pleasure.

:)

X-Head, yes, he asked a loaded question and I was offended. So were most here I'm sure. Flying off the handle and ripping him a new one only plays right into the stereotype that he held at the beginning of this thread. When words on a screen get you that angry (not that it hasn't happened to me) it's time to get up and take a walk before replying. Just a thought.

Yeah, that's a good idea. I need to do it too.
My evil side comes out when i sit here too long.
If I offended, once again I apologize.

X-Head said:
And this notion that someone has 50 30-round mags all loaded and ready to go is a naive hypothetical in the first place. Anyone who has that many mags will have learned early on that keeping loaded mags lying around for a long period of time only weakens the springs and makes them eventually have feeding problems. I don't even know anyone who does this, and you darn sure don't.
Heck, if peace is in danger of breaking out, we can switch to arguing over whether this is a myth or not. To start a real fight you just have to tell folks that you load your AR15 mags to the full 30-round capacity, as I and all right-thinking Americans do. ;)

namaarie said:
What is this? 10 pages in 3 days?!? This must be some kinda record! Cabbitt, you da man!! :D

BTW, good luck in gun search!

I was going to say the same thing! I have NEVER seen a thread take off like this one, so Cabbitt obviously hit on a question close to home for many of us. I doubt if I could get as many replies if I posted a thread called "HI Khuks are for Girly Men!" :) ;) :D

N.

Nah, you should have seen this place back in the good old days when everyone knew lots about everyone else.

Look up the Phantom of the Khukera thread and you'll swear that the ergot that brought about the Salem witch trials had a way to disperse itself by computer virus. Come to think of it, HIKV does spread like a computer virus! :footinmou

Come to think of it, is "Theraputic Insanity" an oxymoron or not?

I got a catalog in the mail the other day with all kinds of large capacity magazines in it. My favorite was a big round drum. I don't remember what it fit, but I think it was an AK-47. I have seen similar things on "street sweeper" 12 GA shotguns, and of course on old machine guns.

I always wanted one of those machine guns like they used in old gangster movies, and if I was to get a firearm that's what I would get. Of course I know it's illegeal, but when the Gestapo stole all my guns they declared me too dangerous to own firearms. So since it's illegeal for me to own any gun, I might as well get what I really want.

munk said:
Get your record expunged...
That costs about $5,000.00 here and I have other ways I would rather spend the money. Besides, I like being a convicted felon. It gives meaning to my life (and gets me out of jury duty).

OK. I hate Calif- almost got ground up by the Justice/police/penal system myself.

munk

munk said:
...I hate Calif- almost got ground up by the Justice/police/penal system myself...
I didn't get ground up. I got robbed, locked up, insulted, and de-humanized, but I made it through the grinder with little damage. I'll never trust the police again though, as I now know for a fact that they lie, steal, and falsify evidence.

As Bill says, "We love to hate"
And once you wear the villain's clothes, Self Rightieousness appears and every body and every system gets to turn their nose at your smell.

munk

Back