Gunting Questions

I have not really been keeping up with the forums too much lately, but is there an expected release date for the Gunting?

I was looking at some pics on Knifecenter that they took at the Shot Show. He says that the compression lock is basically an upside-down liner lock. I thought that the Compression Lock was going to be an ambidexrous design, but it SEEMS that it's another right handed lock. Can someone clarify this issue for me?

Thanks,
Mitch

You can work the Compression Lock with either hand, but it's not symmetrical. It's a sideways motion. With one hand you pull, with the other you push. The Gunting's lock is on the right side of the knife, looking down. Other new Compression Locks, like the Vesuvius, have the lock on the left side. With the Vesuvius, you unlock by pushing with your right thumb. With the Gunting you pull with your right thumb. Or hold it differently and use your index finger.

The Gunting has a pocket clip designed for right-hand carry and adapted to right-handed fast reversals in social emergencies. There will probably be some demand for a mirror-image version in the martial bladecraft community.

And the principal is different from a liner lock. The Compression Lock compresses a piece of steel, that comes in from the side, between the upper surface of the tang and the stop pin, and is good for resisting several hundred pounds of back pressure, which you won't excede bare-handed.

Gunting
Spyderco-Gunting-openfacetrainer.jpg

Vesuvius
Vesuvius-CompressionLockDetail-medium.jpg

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

Thanks James. Any feelings on lefty-friendliness? Any idea when these will be in stock?

~Mitch

I find there are two different one-hand motions that work well to release the lock on my Vesuvius with my right hand, and one that works almost as well with my left hand. I haven't spent as much time with a Gunting, where the mechanism is set up the other way around, but I suspect that as a right-handed carry knife it would be easier for me to close with my left hand. Bram must have figured that leasurely closing is OK in this model, with fast opening being the important part.

The compression lock is certainly not as ambidextrous as a lockback, and the handle and clip designs of the Gunting and the Temperence are specifically right-handed. The Vesuvius, if it came in plain G10 on both sides instead of the seashell veneer on one, would work with clip screw holes on both sides. In the "Sea-change" version, drilled on one side, I'd like to see it with a curved clip, for better clearance for the left thumb.

Here is another Spyderco Compression Lock new model - the Temperence.

Spyderco-Temperence-droppoint.jpg

Spyderco-Temperence-droppoint-clipside.jpg

Not symmetrical. Think of a Calypso Junior's exellent daily utility blade, put in a handle assembly designed for a very secure grip and fast manipulation and extreme strength. I'm a slow-moving guy with negative martial arts skills, but I suspect that some right-handed "MBC" people, as well as lefties, will want a knife they can reach with the left hand as well as one they can reach with the right hand, depending on which direction the emergency is coming from.

And, though I do most of my cutting right-handed (but write exclusively left-handed) I like to be able to get at a knife with either hand for mere convenience, maybe plain edge on the left and toothy on the right.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

[This message has been edited by James Mattis (edited 07-24-2000).]

What knives are going to be in the Martial Bladecraft lineup?

We know that the Gunting is coming in September. Will the Temperance be a production model or is it just a concept knife?

The knives that Sal gave permission to photograph, like the Gunting, Vesuvius, Meerkat, Temperence, et al., were "prototypes" and not "concept knives," meaning that they were intended for production within six months of the Blade Show, God willing and the creek don't rise.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

GUNTINGS come in both flavors..right handed and left handed..another SPYDIE first..
My GUNTING lock works in the reverse of a regular SPYDIE Compression lock..Mine engages with ones thumb WITHOUT rotation of ones hands, the regular compression lock is used with wrist rotation/ hand rotation to allow for the "patented spyderco SHC..yes single hand closing"...
My version is more ergonomical to me..go figure..its my knife!
I feel the placement negates accidental activation of the release under duress and extreme usage!
"to be aware is to be alive!"

Wow! Just drop that Temperence right on us, whydoncha. As a contender for the World's Greatest Calypso Jr. Fan, I love the Temperence as well. Great to see Spyderco put that amazing-cutting blade on a hard-use handle.

Between the Vesuvius and Temperence, Spyderco is gonna cost me a bundle. Not sure if I can resist the Gunting either.

Back