Gut Hook Knife....which one??

When back at hunt camp skinning out a deer or wild hog, I do not like a gut hook on my knife but I do use a "Superknife the Ultimate Utility" blade changing knife. I use a contractor grade carpet blade to take the place of a gut hook and replace the blade when it becomes dull.
Years ago I use to use my Wyoming knife because of the gut hook feature but now find the Superknife and a fish fillet knife perfect for skinning wild game.

I would rather have a regular dropped point knife and a separate dedicated hook tool like a Wyoming knife, Buck zipper or similar.

I have a Remington gut hook my brother gave me and I just can't get comfortable with that sharp edge facing up when using the hook. There's this natural tendency to put your thumb on the 'spine' of the blade...only in this case the spine is the edge and that's a recipe for seeing what your thumb bone looks like.

I agree 100% with this gents post. If you like those hooks? Get one on a separate handle. Having the edge up while you are leaning or kneeling down or over a carcass can be dangerous.

That's one of the nicer gut hook knives I've seen. Good score. I may have to look to see if they have a non-gut hook model for general woods use.

That's one of the nicer gut hook knives I've seen. Good score. I may have to look to see if they have a non-gut hook model for general woods use.
Yup, they do.

15005-1-3%5Blarge%5D.1328896281.jpg

Okay so I'm looking for a good quality skinning knife with a gut hook. I'm wondering what you guys use? Seems like all I can find are generic brands and Gerber. Not saying Gerber is bad, but are there any medium to high quality gut hook knives out there?? Thanks for any info.

This orange one right there would be my pick. DSCF0001.jpg

Its best to get a dedicated gut hook. Ones integrated into the blade just seem to get in the way. Heck, might as well get a benchmade seatbelt cutter. Its the exact same concept.

Okay so I'm looking for a good quality skinning knife with a gut hook. I'm wondering what you guys use? Seems like all I can find are generic brands and Gerber. Not saying Gerber is bad, but are there any medium to high quality gut hook knives out there?? Thanks for any info.

Hunting blackies?

Never found a reason for a gut hook (and I think there's a reason you don't find many higher-end knives with them). I just use a traditional drop point and the gutless method.

Sound advice so far. I tried the hook and see no benefit. If you really feel like you have to have one I would search for a made in the USA Schrade. They can still be had occasionally at flea markets, pawn shops, thrift shops, etc. for reasonable prices.

I'm actually glad I didn't follow most of the advice here. Since buying the Benchmade/Bone Collector gut hook knife I've gutted and skinned two bucks and a wild boar and that knife has performed flawlessly. I love it!

I'm actually glad I didn't follow most of the advice here. Since buying the Benchmade/Bone Collector gut hook knife I've gutted and skinned two bucks and a wild boar and that knife has performed flawlessly. I love it!

And I'm glad that you found a knife that you like and works for you. I tried to like them back when they first came into fashion pre-1980 and found I didn't like them myself. A good reason there have always been a wide variety of knife sizes and design features. "A seat for every butt"!

Back