Guys! I can sharpen knives!

Nothing. Micro-bevels are just easier to create and maintain. If I need to reprofile and edge up all the way to hair whittling I need to remove a lot more metal to make it that sharp.

Congrats! Was it your blue black frankencious:)?

I found the one knife I use most often and got stropped the most gets to be the sharpest, simply because I've yet reached the patience (&time needed) to refine other knives.

Still in search of the Hair Whittling level ;)

Nice one Grease :thumbup:

I've been sharpening for about 10 years, but it was 10 years doing wrong

Bladeforums pointed me in the right direction (Thanks BF :thumbup: :) ) so I can now shave hair with my knives.
Still getting to hair whittling level

...I have now come to believe that the term "sharp enough" is really best defined by "one level sharper than i am capable of achieving right now"

Aaaaaand there's the general statement of sharpening for everyone who's ever caught the bug. :)

took me about.... oh 6 months to get consistent shaveing sharp, then one magical day, about 5 days ago.... i whittled a hair :eek: took a whole lot of stropping after i got it to shave off the stone. about 3-4 hours (no compounds, just my belt.). i took some magazine paper to it and the weight of the knife just pushed it through, i was amazed. but then i plucked a hair from my head, ran it across the blade, and there it was.... a curl of hair, off of the hair :O. i felt so accomplished, that i spent another 2 hours getting my other knives (that were already pretty darn sharp so it didnt take as long :p) to whittle hair.

so pull out an old leather belt, tie it to somthing, and start stropping. in about 3 hours you may just be whittling hairs....
just remember, keep a low angle and medium to light pressure ;)

Back