Gym knives

I don't go to the gym often, but I work for my city's public works department and the bugout works fine for all the heavy lifting and running around that I do during the day. I'm sure the coated blade only helps with corrosion resistance

A SAK is a fine knife but corrosion resistant it is not. Lots of nooks and crannies to get sweat in that can't easily be cleaned. And where is it going to be carried it? A clip seems like a basic necessity.

SAKS use stainless steel for the blade and tools.
They are as corrosion resistant as any other stainless knife.
Leastwise I've never had one rust on me, not even in Florida or on a boat from St. Croix, USVI to Tampa, FL. in the summer.

Nooks and crannies that are hard to clean can be said about any folding knife.

That particular SAK has a clip to attach to a belt loop or your keys.

I generally carry an 18" khukuri. People are more apt to let me work in for some reason:confused:

I don't carry a thing to the gym that I don't have to. I go at 3:45 in the morning, so showering and whatnot will be handled when I get home as I live less than a mile from my gym. I don't even bring a wallet. Phone, ear buds, water, and my car keys. Phone goes in my pocket for music, ear buds go on my ears and hooked to said phone. Water bottle in hand. Keys on a hook by the door. I don't want anything else hindering me when I want maximum range of motion.

I guess if I needed a knife/tool I could go get the skeletool I keep in the glovebox, but I have never once needed to cut or fix something at the gym.

SAKS use stainless steel for the blade and tools.
They are as corrosion resistant as any other stainless knife.
Leastwise I've never had one rust on me, not even in Florida or on a boat from St. Croix, USVI to Tampa, FL. in the summer.

Nooks and crannies that are hard to clean can be said about any folding knife.

That particular SAK has a clip to attach to a belt loop or your keys.
I've purchased a lot of used SAKs and have seen plenty of corrosion. A Pacific salt will not rust, period. There are no liners for stuff to get stuck in like many knives.

And as for the clip? I'm not dangling a Vic from my gym shorts. I need a dedicated clip that secures a knife in place. I've taken the salt water skiing with no fear of it moving at all (I did tighten it down like I do with most clips).

The recommendation was off, especially when contextualized to be better than everyone else's recommendation. The recommendation wasn't even backed up with a claim of personal experience. But hey, maybe I'm off base and the OP wants a vic dangling and flopping around his waste on a belt loop clip while working out (not a lot of gym shorts have belt loops) . To each their own I guess.

Last edited:
I don't go to the gym often, but I work for my city's public works department and the bugout works fine for all the heavy lifting and running around that I do during the day. I'm sure the coated blade only helps with corrosion resistance
But that's different than what you would be wearing and doing in a gym.

At first I was worried reading the title this would be the "tubesock sheath" thread all over again ... whewww

My gym is downstairs so usually I just carry water and a towel or two ...

But the bar is just in the next room and always have a BK15 and a few others there.

I carry a knife everywhere, including to the gym. I try to remember to put it in my bag but many times when wearing shorts or track pants I clip it to my waist band on a bit of an angle, outside the pants so no sweat contact, and my T-shirt covers it completely. It carrys so well in this spot that I always forget it's there.

I'll realize it when I'm doing squats, when I'm bottomed out I can feel it there, but it's not uncomfortable in any way so I just carry on and finish my workout.

The knife I had on me during workout this morning was my old Emerson Specwar.

I always like to have a cutting tool. You never know when it will come in handy, from freak emergencies to cutting that annoying thread dangling from your gym shorts. Given a lot of types of fitness attire, bouncing around, sweating, and the variability of public perception; I prefer something light, inexpensive, nicely distributed, and relatively stainless. In these kind of environments, I actually prefer a small fixed blade to a folder. Look in the "neck knife" category, which may be deceptively named given that a lot of these can be effectively stowed in a pocket or clipped to something.

True. I'll carry a knife to church, but not to the gym. I hate stuff in my gym shorts. If I need something, I can always pick up a 25 lb weight and smash something with it! lol

I do have a SAK on my keychain, so I guess that counts.

I always have my Satu in my pocket when I lift. If Im doing cardio it’s on the machine next to my keys.
Never gets in the way and hasn’t been an issue at all.

Back