Had a issue with new sebenza. Questions

I'm curious to know where you got replacement washers from and what size you went with since I might be doing this on my 21s in the future.

Just as mentioned above, Ask to have a second set of washers fitted when you send it in. Since washers seem to be the holy grail for some reason I would do this every time I send a knife in.

That's how I had an extra set to replace mine in the PJ31 I just received last week. Hope this helps. :)

Just as mentioned above, Ask to have a second set of washers fitted when you send it in. Since washers seem to be the holy grail for some reason I would do this every time I send a knife in.

That's how I had an extra set to replace mine in the PJ31 I just received last week. Hope this helps. :)
I wrote a note on the paperwork asking for a 2nd set. Genius idea!

Sorry to hear of your troubles.
But there's one thing I don't understand; and that's assembling the whole handle assembly first, then
sliding the blade, pivot, washer assembly in last.
Doesn't it make more sense, and safer from a washer pinching perspective, to lay the handle lock bar side down first and build the knife up like that? Could somebody explain why it isn't?
Thanks
Lubricant holds the pivot assembly and washers together and everything is flat as you are trying to slide it into the assembled handle. This assembly goes into something that only has enough width to accept it and no more. Not sure how someone can mess this up. If washer is not aligned and flat, it just won't go in. This is for 21 style pivot.

Lubricant holds the pivot assembly and washers together and everything is flat as you are trying to slide it into the assembled handle. This assembly goes into something that only has enough width to accept it and no more. Not sure how someone can mess this up. If washer is not aligned and flat, it just won't go in. This is for 21 style pivot.
Guess I'm just an idiot. I like to think I'm mechanically inclined. I can replace my own breaks on my car and change my own oil and replace my own transmission but I still somehow pinched the washer on my sebenza.

Guess I'm just an idiot. I like to think I'm mechanically inclined. I can replace my own breaks on my car and change my own oil and replace my own transmission but I still somehow pinched the washer on my sebenza.

If there was bladeplay and gritty action out of the box...it was probably pinched when you got it. :)

NM...I see there was a burr when you got it.

I find that using a thicker lube than the crk supplied one makes it much easier to hold the bushing and washers in place during assembly. I use SKF food safe bearing grease in both my L21 aand Umnumzaan, and so far no noticeable issues.

I find that using a thicker lube than the crk supplied one makes it much easier to hold the bushing and washers in place during assembly. I use SKF food safe bearing grease in both my L21 aand Umnumzaan, and so far no noticeable issues.
Where can I buy that lube?

The only times I've pinched a washer putting a bushing pivot knife back together is when I installed the blade and pivot concurrently with reassembling the handle slabs. Slipping the bushing, washers, and blade back in the front can be a little tricky either at first or if you haven't done so for a while, but keeping the stop pin screw just a tiny bit loose smooths the process. The lube does hold things together and if you keep the assembly pinched between thumb and forefinger, once you get the leading edge of the bushing between the slabs you should be good to go in terms of everything hanging together in proper alignment.

There's really too much chance of the pivot assembly becoming mis-aligned and pinching a washer when you install it at the same time you're shifting the slabs around to get the stop pin and body screws all lined up right as a washer could move just that little bit to create a problem.

^^ agree with above..... I had to send a crk to the mother shop for warranty work, and it took a few months to get back.

hqdefault.jpg

Made me think of independence day

Back