Had my new spincasting reel for one day..and it broke.

-_- somehow i broke it trying to change out the spool, as its made for a 'quick change'. Zebco omega z03. Maybe I applied too much pressure...? Anyone else have one of these? Expensive reel to break on me so easily. Its weird..it wont pull in line, it goes in reverse, when before it wouldnt...-_- what a migraine.

Never heard of Zebco Omega reels, so I had to look it up. First, I am shocked at the price. Second, I'd be sending that Zebco back for a refund or store credit, not exchanging for another of the same. Third, I recommend Shimano reels.

Yeah, you'd be better off buying several of the older zebco 33 for less money and just swapping out the whole reels rather than just the spool. Seriously. I paid $8 for my made in USA, metal foot 33 that works like a charm and is nearly 40 years old! I also have a little newer one still USA made but with plastic foot that also works like a champ. I paid $15 shipped for that one.

Or look into Daiwa reels.

-Xander

From the reviews the reel seems pretty decent. If I were you and it was completely unfixable I would contact zebco or return to the store. You may have just gotten a rotten apple. If you are just going to throw it away you should definitely send it to someone (like Me) who may be able to fix it or use it for parts.
I normally recommend Shimano but I have no experience with their spincast( if they are even currently making any, I know there are older Shimano closed face reels). Zebco is the brand when it comes to closed face reels and from my experience, even the cheap new ones are usable. The older ones are absolutely better than the new though so if you can find one in good shape then go that direction. Good luck!
Bruce

Realizing that everyone has their own preferences and experiences, I prefer a spinning rod. I like the way the reel hangs on the bottom for an effortless balance. And if there's a tangle, there's no disassembly to access or even remove the spool; even carry a second spool with either spare line or a different weight line, and swap out in seconds with no loose parts. And with a "trigger" model (less common now than a few years ago), it's a one-hand cast, very similar in effort to a spincasting reel.

I use this on an ultralite rig:

shimano-spirex-rear-drag-4000-rg.jpg

My everyday reel, a Shimano TX1200, developed an annoying amount of play in the handle gearing after 25 years. Found a NIB identical replacement on auction for $30.

From the reviews the reel seems pretty decent. If I were you and it was completely unfixable I would contact zebco or return to the store. You may have just gotten a rotten apple. If you are just going to throw it away you should definitely send it to someone (like Me) who may be able to fix it or use it for parts.
I normally recommend Shimano but I have no experience with their spincast( if they are even currently making any, I know there are older Shimano closed face reels). Zebco is the brand when it comes to closed face reels and from my experience, even the cheap new ones are usable. The older ones are absolutely better than the new though so if you can find one in good shape then go that direction. Good luck!
Bruce

Going to get a refund lol. Maybe get a tatula reel. :)

Realizing that everyone has their own preferences and experiences, I prefer a spinning rod. I like the way the reel hangs on the bottom for an effortless balance. And if there's a tangle, there's no disassembly to access or even remove the spool; even carry a second spool with either spare line or a different weight line, and swap out in seconds with no loose parts. And with a "trigger" model (less common now than a few years ago), it's a one-hand cast, very similar in effort to a spincasting reel.

I use this on an ultralite rig:

shimano-spirex-rear-drag-4000-rg.jpg

My everyday reel, a Shimano TX1200, developed an annoying amount of play in the handle gearing after 25 years. Found a NIB identical replacement on auction for $30.

Nice!

It comes in three (?) different sizes, and choice of front or rear drag. Mine for ultra-lite is the smallest size, and I prefer rear drag so the spool pops off without interfering with the drag components.

My everyday reel is like this (not my photo). The only thing similar from Shimano now are their low-end import reels. I have no experience with them so cannot comment on the quality, but it's obvious the current-production graphite reels do not have all of the features of this classic.

IMAG0617.jpg~original

I also have an older Abu-Garcia Cardinal reel with the same sort of casting trigger. It's got to be almost 30 years old and is holding up well.

Despite having a bit of wear- and age-related jiggle in the handle, I kept the old Shimano TX1000 and would be happy to send it to you. I realize in the long run you'll probably want a new reel, but this way you could try out a trigger-release spinning reel without spending a bunch of $$. You would just need to pick up a spinning rod somewhere to use with it, $10-$20 at the discount department stores for a basic rod to test with.
When your testing is complete, even if you go another route, you can keep it as a spare or pass it down to some kid. :thumbup:

Just send me a PM with your address if you'd like it.

Spincast reel are notoriously unreliable although I still have some vintage Zebco 33's in storage at the family lake house that still work. Fortunately my son and all my nephews have all moved to spinning, bait casting and fly reels years ago but the best that we experienced were the ones from Daiwa and they still had issues. I maintain and repair my own gear and I don't miss working on spincast reels at all. I would also suggest moving to spinning reels. Skip the entry level reels and seek mid grade models from Shimano, Daiwa, Okuma, Abu Garcia or Pflueger. There are lots of good options in the $50-$100 range that will provide you pretty smooth action and fairly reliable service.

Bob W - I have one of those Abu-Garcia Cardinal with the bail trigger that is probably in the same age range as yours and it still works great.

Bob W - I have one of those Abu-Garcia Cardinal with the bail trigger that is probably in the same age range as yours and it still works great.

My Abu-Garcia is the 763. I still use it for spare, including the original rod, and there's not a thing wrong with it.

In my opinion, those bale triggers are kind of a pain in the butt unless you only use one reel and get used to using it. I have a Shimano with the trigger and I lift the bale manually just about every time. But that reel has been largely replaced with a couple Shimano Stradics which has been my "standard" reel for the last 8-10 years. They of course keep going up in price.

Is there a lever to flip on the reeling backwards thing? Anti-reverse?

If you are considering an open faced reel, take a look at the Cabelas Tournament zx 1500 or 2500 which run $79-$89. Made by Diawa for Cabelas.

22-rimfire,
Not sure if I understand the question. Do you reel backwards often when fishing?

If so, the trigger models work the same as non-trigger models; they all have a level that lets the handle crank backwards if needed.

----------

Over the years I've hit the redline limiter on a number of coordination efforts. I can't play guitar, for example, and I can't work a fishing reel with two hands. :D
I also fish with a left-handed baitcaster so that, just like a trigger-equipped spinning reel or a spincast reel, the entire casting process is one-handed using the same hand on every reel. Cast with the right, crank with the left. :thumbup:

I recommend buying a pfluger president spinning reel . Cabelas had a real nice combo for the price of that zebco spincaster .

Bob, I'm like you, all my reels with the exception of my zebco are left hand crank, even my bait casting reels. I just rather not pass the rod back and forth when casting.

I don't know why everyone says that spin casting reels are notorious for breaking or having issues, I've yet to have any issues with one in 30 years. I do make sure that I use high quality line of the proper poundage with mine, never braid, and have always had smooth reliable service. Granted, I don't use modern ones, and that may be where the issue is, but from my experience, they are just as reliable as anything else out there.

-Xander

I don't know if the line on spin casting reels are more likely to tangle, but in my experience they can be a nightmare to untangle because of the closed cover. Most importantly, you can't detect and correct a developing tangle or stray loop that's about to birdnest until it's too late.
And on some spincast reels, if you have to remove the actual spool to fix a birdnest, a bunch of other parts can fall off the axle. Same thing with at least some front-drag spinning reels.

22-rimfire,
Not sure if I understand the question. Do you reel backwards often when fishing?

Nope. But there is a setting that allows for the reel to go either way on my open faced reels. One might use this setting when pushing line through the guides or rigging up a rod for use rather than pulling out using a light drag.

I'm right handed and used to using open faced spinning tackle a lot. When I bought a bait casting reel, I purchased the left handed model to allow me to use the rod/reel combo holding in my right hand and reeling with me left just like a spinning reel.

I agree with you about the snarls and developing snarls on a closed face spinning reel. Of course you get them on open faced reels too, but you see it happening or developing. It frequently develops when you have too much line on the spool. Since I am often cutting about 10 feet or so off my line (the area most susceptible to nicks and so forth above a lure), I do tend to overfill the spool when I am putting on new line.

Added: Yes, the triggers on the open faced reels work the same as you said. The purpose was for one handed casting where the bale is lifted to the open position and you cast with the same hand. I know the theory. About the only time I use a one handed casting method is in open water where I don't have to worry about above water obstructions (like a lake or bigger stream/river), otherwise, I tend to hold the line in one hand and cast with the other and usually with a side flicking motion rather than over handed. But I generally fish smaller water and that is just what I got used to so I could control my casts better and aim as well into small pockets.

Last edited:
Nope. But there is a setting that allows for the reel to go either way on my open faced reels. One might use this setting when pushing line through the guides or rigging up a rod for use rather than pulling out using a light drag.

To answer the question then, yes all of the trigger reels I've seen have a lever to allow the handle to crank backwards, even the low-end Quantum Snapshot.

Back