Hairline fracture or scratch

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Brett Sisco, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Brett Sisco

Brett Sisco

May 8, 2020
    Just recieved this knife. Brand new out of the box and i notice this scratch or fracture. When i rub my nail over it i can feel it catch a little. With it being maxamet im worried it may be a frature. What do you guys think? [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. TheJon

TheJon

Apr 12, 2014
    I mean it doesn't look like it continues on down the edge just on the flat ground face of the blade. But I understand the concern.

115Italian likes this.
  3. Barman1

Barman1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Looks like there was a little grit on the final grinding wheel that left that mark.
    I see the same thing quite a bit actually and just live with it on a non collector user piece.

marrenmiller likes this.
  4. Brett Sisco

Brett Sisco

May 8, 2020
    I feel like at the right angles i may see something on the bevel. Impossible to catch with my camara. But it could just be a scratch as well. As long as its functions im good with it.

5. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    That looks a lot like a crack in that light.

Can you test with Magnaflux?

6. Brett Sisco

Brett Sisco

May 8, 2020
    Dont have it. Never did it before. Have you seen this before?

7. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    Never seen it before but there are a few posts with snapped Maxmet in here. I haven't used the ferrous tester because all my suspicious stuff is non-magnetic so it's all dyechem but it's never been wrong.

Tagging in @Sal Glesser for a school of life opinion.

8. Brett Sisco

Brett Sisco

May 8, 2020
    Would a crack be pretty obvious on the bevel?

9. nephron

nephron Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2017
    I would put the edge under some high magnification, cracks usually start from somewhere, not in the middle of the blade. I am thinking scratch as mentioned earlier.

10. Brett Sisco

Brett Sisco

May 8, 2020
    Yea im with you guys i guess. I think it must be a scratch. Thanks for everyones help.

11. spoonrobot

spoonrobot

May 1, 2004
    That looks like a crack to me. Regardless, once you start using it you'll find out either way pretty darn quick.

12. Surfingringo

Surfingringo Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2013
    Doesn’t appear to continue onto the edge bevel and looks to be perfectly perpendicular with the grind lines so I would guess scratch (possibly from the grind process). Hard to say just from a photo though. I suspect a 10-12x loupe would be enough to give you a definitive answer.

13. GatorFlash1

GatorFlash1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2012
    If mine it would be going back for a replacement. Why take a chance?

Lee D likes this.
  14. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    This.

@Brett Sisco If you don't have a loupe you can turn around a pair of binoculars to get a similar look at magnification. I've done that to look at edges and investigate possible cracks.

Yo Mama likes this.
  15. bdmicarta

bdmicarta Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 16, 2012
    yes at some magnification a crack would look jagged while a scratch would be relatively straight

AF likes this.