1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Halloween Knife Scales

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by antipaladin, Jan 8, 2019.

1. antipaladin

antipaladin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Guy at work does some hobby work making knife scales and I was chatting about putting some on my Fat Ash. He pulls out a boot knife and says the scales are made from a human femur. I called BS but apparently there are sites like boneroom.com where you can purchase them. Would you have a problem carrying said knife?

hydeinmind likes this.
  2. Leonardo63

Leonardo63 Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2017
    I have a pretty simple answer to this one -hell yeah I'd have an issue with that LOLOLO!!! ~ That's a little too macabre for me. Tell me it's from a game animal, no prob- But I'd draw a line at like giraffe bone or something. I even did a double take when I first came across that and had to think "why would ya?" for a minute, but I've seen some dyed giraffe bone for example that was pretty awesome.
    If someone said to me "This is human bone" ` I'm not even touching it- it shouldn't be an option in my personal view, I just feel like, hey, for science sure, do what ya gotta do. There's just so many options that seem more normal for me - But I have to say, one of the most bizarre materials I've ever heard of and would've been fine never knowing it :D

gk4ever2, CataD and antipaladin like this.
  3. DamascusBowie

DamascusBowie Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 20, 2016
    Nope, nope, nope.

4. jay drews

jay drews Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2018
    Humane bones can make great clubs (if your a throwback caveman ) , but knife scales?? Didnt Mengele take bone & skin and do funky things w/them? My vote is for no

5. hydeinmind

hydeinmind Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Heck yah would look great next to the skull on my desk!!! ;):D

6. Baron83

Baron83 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 7, 2017
    I read an interesting article recently that up until a disturbingly recent time, human skin was commonly used for leather goods. Things like gloves, purses, book covers, etc.

7. lex2006

lex2006 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 20, 2014
    I am a fan of Halloween , Hannibal Lecter, House of a Thousand corpses the Walkers, and collect skulls.
    But no thanks it is more fun staying in the fiction mode for me.

duramax likes this.
  8. u812

u812 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 15, 2002
    No,I wouldn't.

9. duramax

duramax KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 29, 2012
    I’d be out on that with solid No. I truly love Halloween :) but out on that.

10. drift draft

drift draft

May 12, 2007
    Back when my wife was in school she had a half of a human skeleton complete with half of the skull in a box in the back of her car for nine months.(in the name of science) :) It creeped me sometimes to drive her car around Miami knowing it was in there, so I’m pretty sure there’s no way in hell I could carry a knife around made out of anything human. I’m not sure why it made me think of this, but I would love to have custom handles with taxidermy type eyeballs cast into them looking out.

11. Snakebreaker

Snakebreaker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Wouldn't bother me a bit.

hydeinmind likes this.
  12. d762nato

d762nato Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Put the lotion on the skin or gets the hose again. :eek::D

OnceBitten and hydeinmind like this.
  13. hydeinmind

Nov 30, 2015
    Aw haha oh man I was scrolling and this literally got me laughing out loud bro! :D

d762nato likes this.
  14. hydeinmind

Nov 30, 2015
    Anybody heard of Ed Gein?

WARNING:Google him at the risk of nightmares ha! :eek::D

One of his lamp shades!... yeh it’s exactly what your thinking lol!
    upload_2019-1-9_7-21-27.jpeg

15. DamascusBowie

DamascusBowie Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 20, 2016
    The skin is bad enough, but I truly shudder to think what those hanging frilly balls are made of!

hydeinmind likes this.
  16. d762nato

d762nato Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Yeah that guy was one sick monster of a human being.

hydeinmind likes this.
  17. Leonardo63

Leonardo63 Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2017
    someone to go up against this sicko - Ilse Koch is another one who might like that femur handled knife ~ The Witch of Buchenwald - she was one twisted individual. It's probably this predisposed notion of historical adaptations of demented sickos that create the creepiness factor for me.

hydeinmind likes this.
  18. Apocryphiliac

Apocryphiliac Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Eh, human bone is too porous. I prefer micarta for practical reasons. :p

Seriously though, no thanks.

19. Thorz113

Thorz113

Apr 24, 2014
    I wouldn't buy something like that. Sounds like an episode of Supernatural.

I heard of a case a month or so ago I think in Recoil magazine where a guy had a knife made of femur bone from his leg after a pretty severe accident. Not the thing I'd do with a big shard of my leg bone but it is a pretty creative use... Gives a whole new meaning to his grand kids someday having Grandpa's knife...

https://www.guns.com/news/2018/12/2...shards-for-possibly-the-most-metal-knife-ever
    https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/a6jelg/this_guy_almost_lost_his_leg_in_a_motorcycle/