1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Kizer C01C Sheepdog Ki4488A & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Dec 14 !

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Dec 15 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Hammer handle. Walnut ?

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by Frozen Bear Trading, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Frozen Bear Trading

Frozen Bear Trading KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 22, 2019
    I am building a hammer. If I can ever finish milling the handle hole...lol I know the industry standard for handles is hickory and I understand why.

That said I acquired some very large walnut slabs for free. I thought a walnut handled hammer would be nice. But comparing the strength of the hickory to the walnut. Will the walnut stand the test thst hickory has
    Will I regret using walnut later on because it will break ?

Should I just use hickory like every one else?

2. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    If you have the walnut, make the handle. If it breaks, replace it with hickory or locust. Walnut is pretty tough and may do fine.

GABaus and Frozen Bear Trading like this.
  3. Frozen Bear Trading

Frozen Bear Trading KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 22, 2019
    Ya that's a good idea. I am excited to get it done I'm still milling with a round file. At this rate the hole should be big enough by the 4th of July lol