1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED! Live stream of the winners being picked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ6xurJWkhs

Hey folks! We're having a Becker Giveaway over in the Giveaway forum, check it out and have a chance to win a free Becker 4 Machax, Becker 5 Magnum Camp, or Becker 15 Short Trailing Point!

Hamon!!

Discussion in 'Osprey Knife & Tool' started by Osprey Knife & Tool, Nov 14, 2017 at 3:43 PM.

1. Osprey Knife & Tool

Osprey Knife & Tool Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 4, 2014
    Here is a little sneak peak of what I have been doing the last few days.

First video is a Bowie in W2 with a nice Hamon, it is polished to 800 grit.
    I am not completley satisfied with the polish and etch so I will polish it somemore and etch again.

Second video is another Blade in W2 this one is a Raptor variant, but rather large (Bowie Large)]
    This one is polished to 400 grit, and I did a test etch to see what it is I am working with.
    Time to take it on up to a higher grit and do somemore etching!

More to come in the next few days!

2. Osprey Knife & Tool

Osprey Knife & Tool Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 4, 2014
    Another one for the evening!
    Chef/Butcher knife in 1095
    This one is at a rough 400 grit and I did a test etch to see what I am looking at, tomorrow I will take this one and the others to a higher grit and re-etch the blade.
    This one has really nice thin blade geometry!

More to come in a few days...

3. Comprehensivist

Comprehensivist Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 23, 2008
    There is some serious badass energy in those blades waiting to be turned loose. They project a dark and menacing beauty like nothing you have made before. Awesome work Chris!

Phil

4. Coach23

Coach23 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 30, 2015
    +1 to what Comprehensivist said!! I am recalling digging the Hamon and can't wait to see what scales you match with it!!

Osprey Knife & Tool likes this.
  5. varga49

varga49 Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 1, 2016
    +2 on what Phillip is able to articulate, very well by the way. It’s exciting to watch you enter this new territory Chris!

6. MajorD

MajorD Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Mar 18, 2007
    Outstanding Chris! These are an artistic level of their own. Really really nice.

7. Osprey Knife & Tool

Jun 4, 2014
    Thank you Phil, I am really pleased with the way these turned out, this is years of practice culminated here!

Thank you! If all goes well I plan to have these glued up this weekend!

Thank you Douglas, I like doing these, the polishing and etching can be time consuming though!

Thank you Dave, I am glad you like them!

8. Odaon

Odaon Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    I've been enjoying seeing these on IG, fricken awesome!

9. FeralGentleman

FeralGentleman Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Looking good. The Raptor inspired variant is especially lively

10. Warrior108

Warrior108 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 24, 2012
    @Osprey Knife & Tool Chris, that kicks butt!!

And while that kicks butt, I still look at the title "Hamon" and Michael Jackson comes to mind. All you need to do is add an S and you'll get it ;)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017 at 2:28 PM
  11. Osprey Knife & Tool

Jun 4, 2014
    Some of you may remember this big beast from awile back, I decided to polish it out and see what kind of Hamon was lurking beneath the surface.

Well.......

Im not very pleased with the way the Hamon on this bowie with a 13” blade in 1095 steel turned out, it is too splotchy and washes out is certain places.

I will finish it out and play with it however to test the heat treat and the design concept.

I plan on making another in the future and hopefully that on has a Hamon more to my liking.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017 at 1:54 AM
  12. Osprey Knife & Tool

Jun 4, 2014

Hahahhahahaha.....
    I got a good laugh at of this one!!!
    Thanks for sharing Jerry!

13. Osprey Knife & Tool

Jun 4, 2014
    Thanks Orion, I am glad you enjoy seeing these!

Thank you Danny, I am pretty pleased with how that one turned out! Rest assure I will be doing more of this!