Handle/Blade Angle?

I can't speak for the 24, but I have an XM18 and that anle is my main criticism of the knife. I wish the opened blade was more in line with the handle because I sometimes find that the blade is not where I expect it to be, ie the tip is lower than expected.

If you only carry one knife consistantly for EDC I guess you get used to it, but my XM18 is part of a rotation of knives I use and it always feels a bit off since most knives are in line with the handle.

I guess we are all different :)
It is very comfortable for me. This angle, as a matter of fact is something which makes Hinderers so useful. I personally have similar worries about this one :)
a6efe4696c.jpg

BTW, look at another classic design :)
f134957136.jpg

I hope this helps :)

23bef5345b.jpg

Gress,

On most tools the centerline is in line with the handle. Look in your toolbox. A general utility knife (or tool) is well suited to a variety of grips when it's tip is straight with the handle.

In a specialized use scenario this may vary, like for a weapon or carpet knife, etc. The tried and tested classics like the Sebenza, that folder you posted, a buck 110, etc will most often have points almost in line with the centerline of the handle.

Neither design is "correct", IMO. Just different designs to favor different uses and grips. For my uses I find that the tip in line with the handle centerline tends to be the most useful/predictable. I am sure Rick has his reasons for the XM18 design. Maybe we will be lucky enough that he and/or Rob will pop in and discuss them.

Variety is good!

Low tip:

XM18Front.jpg

Mid/Low Tip:

SNG5.jpg

Center Tip:

CRK8.jpg

Biginboca,
Great pics! I agree with you on what you've said about the tool designs. However, like you also said, every knife maker makes the knife design on purpose. If we take Buck, e.g. I do not see how the line going to the tip at all.
Take a look. The green line is going along the intuitive "center line of the handle" and the blue one going through the mid points of both bolsters. ;) :)
2397e1070e.jpg

Thanks for the opinions and pics. I'd definitely like to hear the purpose of the angle from Rick. Anyone else have any opinions?

The angle ratio is the same for all the XM series...if you put a 3.5 in bladed XM-18 in your hand it will feel the same with the XM-24.Try it before you decide....everybody has different tastes and what feels "perfect" to some may not so to others...if you dont care for the angle ratio there are other knives out there that are more straight line...in fact i made a model called the Firetac whose blade tip was more centered on the pivot...However with the popularity of the XM series I think I hit on the right angle for ALOT of people ;)...Thanks!

Rick

The angle ratio is the same for all the XM series...if you put a 3.5 in bladed XM-18 in your hand it will feel the same with the XM-24.Try it before you decide....everybody has different tastes and what feels "perfect" to some may not so to others...if you dont care for the angle ratio there are other knives out there that are more straight line...in fact i made a model called the Firetac whose blade tip was more centered on the pivot...However with the popularity of the XM series I think I hit on the right angle for ALOT of people ;)...Thanks!

Rick

No disagreement there :thumbup:

Back